Mind games

Morning time indeed it was. Today was the day everything would fall into place according to plan. If this doesn't screw up I'll live to see a new day. I don't plan on dying even once while I'm here.

I awoke super early in the morning. I took a deep breath and went out the door to use the restroom. After that, I went to Subaru's room to wake him up.

It took a lot of shaking but he eventually opened his eyes. He sat up and wiped the drool from his face. "Subaru, before you say anything—go to the bathroom and brush your teeth... please."

Rolling his eyes he got up begrudgingly and slowly walked to the restroom. He should know the path of the hallways by now since he's done it so many times. Seven minutes passed and he finally came back looking refreshed.

"Remember what you're doing this for. Now put on your butler outfit and meet me in the kitchen... It's still very early and they haven't woken up yet so make as little noise as you can."

He slowly nodded his head and we made our way toward the kitchen. I started to explain the plan to him.

"Go set the dining area while I set the kitchen. After you do that mop the floors and clean the bathrooms."

"Aye Aye, Captin."

We made haste. I knew where the food items were because of Subaru. He told me every detail he remembered from his loops. I smoothly peeled the tatoes and sliced the vegetables in a quick fashion. I washed dishes and put the plates stacked on the table for Subaru to set them.

After that, I wiped the counters and cabinets before putting the tatoes back where they were. I was trying as best I could to remember the maid's morning task. Once I finished I went to check on Subaru only to find him talking to Beatrice. I thought she never comes out of the library...

"What are you doing up this late I suppose?" It seemed like they just started conversating. Before Subaru could speak I jogged over to them and slapped Subaru on the back.

"Hey what was that for!" I'm glad he remembered we're not trying to wake anyone up by screaming quieter.

"I was just making sure you weren't falling asleep, buddy. Anyway, Beatrice... why are you up at this hour? I thought you'll be asleep in the library."

"Hmph, can't I walk around in my own house I suppose? I heard a noise and went to check it out. Sounded like someone dropped a bucket of water I suppose." I looked at Subaru to find him scratching his head nervously.

"Ah, my bad. I was mopping the floors and slipped by accident Hehe..." I could tell Beatrice still had her suspicions.

"Why were you mopping the floor this late anyway I suppose?" Luckily Subaru had thought of something quickly or else we'd be in trouble.

"I asked Y/n could he help me impress Emilia by showing that I'm a hard worker. He agreed to help me do some of my butler tasks."

"Well not that it matters I suppose. Now get out of my way I suppose!" We stepped aside and let her do that door-crossing thingy. After she was gone we went back to work. We did this for about 3 hours and went back into Subaru's room to discuss what to do next.

"So what we do next? Going to sleep would make me feel better." He let out a long yawn and sat on the bed.

"That's exactly what we're gonna do. You're going to sleep until the maids wake you up... then they're going to ask about their morning tasks. It might just be one maid who wakes you up but either way, I'm sure they will believe you doing it for Emilia's validation."

"Wow, Y/n it's like you can see the future. Also, why do you make it seem like I'm leeching on Emilia?"

"Listen, that's not important. What matters is that we survive." I placed my hand on his shoulder gently.