12

It was late into the night, and the clones were still working on a plan.

"Mako, were there any other factors that might make stealing that droid ship difficult?" Calso inquired. 

"The commando droids, Grievous had three with him.  We took one down in Vire's cave, but the other two are still functioning as far as I know," Mako replied. 

With an air of pride, Calso said, "Leave the commandos to me." 

No one commented in response.  Crash glanced at the doorway thinking he had heard someone step in. 

"We do not know of any other special weapons or droids Grievous may have brought.  Our only experiences with the Seps have been brief," Mako continued.

"Sir, what if there are still droid ships in orbit?" Kael asked.

Mako realized he hadn't considered the fact, but he still answered, "The Separatist ships will have weapons, but Crash is a good pilot, despite his name."

  "Thanks," said the grateful pilot, a touch of humor in his tone.

"So is that how you ended up here?  His exceptional piloting skills," questioned Calso jokingly.

"No, it was a lucky droid," Mako said bluntly.

Gravely Calso replied, "I see."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\                                                  

    The next afternoon Mastro Ktar had just entered the droid camp when he noticed that something was different.  There were no droid patrols, and another ship rested next to the droid landing ship.  It was sleek and smooth with frail wings folded in.  The bubble-like port reflected the glare off Nagem's three suns with a blinding intensity. 

The General has a visitor.

Pondering who could be inside  with the droid general, Ktar walked slowly across the marsh.  The air was silent.  Not one droid was heard.  Only the infectious parasites buzzing around moved.  Ktar reached the lowered belly hatch of the droid landing ship.  He silently strode up it, curiosity growing with each step. 

"I will not be called some mindless droid!" 

Grievous's bellowing protests rang through the air, echoing off the durasteel walls.

"I called you nothing of the sort, my dear general," a smooth, mocking voice reminded.

"You wench!  Get out of my ship!  These are my droids and The Count has no right to interfere with my commanding them!"

"I'll certainly convey that to my master." 

Mastro wanted to laugh at the pair.  Clearly, The Count had sent Asajj Ventress down here to give orders that the good general refused to obey.  Hearing the swish of shimmersilk, Ktar realized that Asajj was leaving, so he backed off, not wanting to look like an eavesdropper.  She rounded the corner, her pale lips drawn in a malicious frown and her bald scalp shining in the hall light.  As though he didn't exist, she brushed past him and continued on her way.  Ktar, who had no desire to interrupt the heated conversation, entered the room she had just left.  Grievous was still pacing and fuming as Mastro made his entrance.  The bounty hunter leaned on the door post and looked casually in the general's direction.

"Your droids failed."

"Ktar," hissed Grievous.  "I have a new objective for you.  Ignore whatever orders you may have received concerning the clones.  I want them all dead."