CHAPTER 12: What is it with Ferris Wheels?

"Oh god, I'm so tired." I flop down on a chair and hang my head back. We had a long shift today. It was mostly boring during the day, but it suddenly became exciting in the evening. But there were about five back-to-back fires, two of which we had to assist and one was a three-alarm. So, exhaustion is a fine word to describe what all of us were feeling.

"I know..." Andy whines and puts her feel up on the table, "I just want to go back home."

"We should be happy since we have the next two days off." Ben laughs as he brings food to the table and all of us almost pounce on it but he holds up his hand and stops us before we can even touch the plate.

"Hold on, you animals." Ben hands each one of us individual plates and serves the noodles into them, "There you go."Ben shakes his head as we all dive into our plates. I hear him mutter, Uncivilized people." but I couldn't care less at that point.

"Guys, since we have the two days off, we could do something fun!" Travis perked up and I internally groaned. 

I had other plans for us in the next two days. And by us, I mean Carina and me. It involves the two of us, away from work, in bed, under the covers, and a lot of touching. You should get what I mean. And since I was dating the Italian Goddess herself, it was difficult not to have my hands wander around her body all the time I was with her.

"Like what?" Vic asked.

"Like the fair!" Travis announced, throwing his hand in the air like it was so obvious.

Jack groaned, "I don't like fairs!"

"Oh stop being such a buzzkill. Who doesn't like fairs!?" Andy slaps Jack's hand playfully as we roll our eyes at him.

I think for a moment and recall a conversation I had with Carina a while ago. She'd said that she had never been to fairs. At least not Seattle fairs. And that's something that kind of bothered me. I've grown up here and fairs have been a massive part of my life because that was the only time I could get away from my dad and actually have some fun. And I somehow felt like Carina should see it. Since it means something special to me.

"Look, everyone's agreeing." Travis's voice brings me back into the conversation, "Even Maya!"

I laugh, "Hey I never said no. I love fairs."

"So, it's settled. We're going to the fair tomorrow!" Vic shouts and we all join in the cheer, even though all I could think of was to go home and hit the bed with Carina.

***

"I'm gonna win you that bear."

"You don't have to do that, Bella," Carina replies with a laugh. All of us have been separated. Andy and Jack were inside some horror ride and Travis Vic and Emmet were probably on the Ferris wheel.

"Yes, I do."

"Why?"

"So that you can hold him when I'm on calls."

Carina cheers for me as I knock out a few bottles on one rack with a ball. I manage to do as many as I can within time and the manager shows me a bunch of bears and pandas that I could take.

"Which one do you want?" I ask Carina with a proud smile.

She rolls her eyes at me, "The white one with the black ribbon."

I tell the worker which one we prefer and I hand her the big fluffy teddy bear. It is a quite large bear but it's soft enough to fall asleep with.

"Well thank you, my dearest firefighter." She says like a damsel in distress, "How can I ever repay you?"