CHAPTER 26: Stuck

"Yes, Andy, I'm on the way. Just locking my door." Maya carefully held the phone between her shoulder blade and ear as she twisted the lock into place.

"You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago, Bishop!" Andy yelled from the other side and Maya winced at her high-pitched voice. It was Andy's birthday and the team had planned a nice good surprise for her. Maya had even picked up the gifts and gave them to Travis. And she wasn't exactly planning on it, but she overslept this morning. She was exhausted from the last shift and really didn't have the energy to wake up at six and go for a run so she snoozed her alarm and fell asleep. Before she knew it, she was already running late.

"I'm sorry! I fell asleep." Maya replied, pressing the down button on the elevator, "I'll be there soon. Happy birthday."

"Yes, please! I don't want to spend my birthday without my best friend." Andy gave her one last threat, before hanging up.

Maya put her phone back in her pocket and she stepped inside. Just as the doors were closing, an arm shot through the gap, stopping it. A tall brunette walked in, looking slightly anxious. She flashed an awkward, yet sweet smile to Maya and pressed the ground floor button. Maya tried to remember who that was because she had seen her before. Maybe, she'd even bumped into her once but her mind couldn't quite put the pin down.

The doors closed and the elevator started to go down slowly. Maya tapped her foot on the floor, looking at the small display screen that showed which floor they were on.

5...4...3...

Maya looked at the girl beside her. She was really pretty. Big brown eyes and a bunch of shiny brown hair dotted her face perfectly. And she also had a really nice jawline. Maya noticed the girl seemed to be nervous. She kept biting her lip and glancing at her watch and occasionally looking up at the display screen, almost praying the elevator would move faster.

By the time they were on the second floor, there was a loud noise before the elevator stopped moving completely.

"Wh-what's going on?" The girl asked, panic evident in her voice.

Maya tried not to let her knees go weak at the girl's accent. The lights flickered and Maya unconsciously held onto a bar, "I think it just broke down."

The girl seemed to want to cry. "You've got to be kidding me." She groaned loudly and stomped her foot, almost like a child.

Maya couldn't help but let out a small laugh, "I'm guessing you have somewhere to be?"

The girl sighed, "I need to be at the hospital in like three minutes. I have a patient waiting and she's fully dilated." She took out her phone and aggressively started typing and calling the hospital.

Maya's eyebrows shot up. That's where she's seen her. She remembered seeing her one time in the ER when they went in with an aid car.

Maya didn't say anything but pressed the red button for emergency and took out her phone. She dialled Andy's number.

"Bishop, don't tell me you ain't coming."

"I am not, actually. I'm stuck here in the elevator. It broke down." Maya heard the groan from the other side.

"The universe is against all of us," Andy said. Maya could hear the commotion from the other side through her phone.

"Look, I don't know how long they'll take–" Before Maya could complete her sentence her line cut off and when she looked back at the phone, there were no bars.

"Well, fuck."

She heard an exaggerated groan from the other side of the metal box, "Why!?"

"It'll be okay. I pressed the emergency button so they'll find us soon." Maya said and the girl just sighed and slid down the elevator wall, sitting down on the floor.