Chapter 5

-
flashback -

It's New Jersey, 1953, and Elmer Tatelman hated his grandfather. Elmer blames everything on his grandfather. His mother's pain, his father's death, and his own sad life. This could have been just another sad tale about soup, except for one thing. In 1955 Elmer invented time travel. Elmer has decided the key to his future happiness is to go back in time and kill his grandfather. Elmer completed his mission, but he made one crucial mistake. He went too far back in time. Murdering his grandfather in 1905 meant the Elmer's mother didn't exist to meet his father in 1925. Which made certain that Elmer himself was never born.

Elmer killed his grandfather, so his mother was never born. But if his mother was never born, Elmer no longer exists. If Elmer no longer exists, how could he possibly kill his grandfather? Elmer has created a paradox, the grandfather paradox.

- Present -

"Well, someone killed our mothers, so we shouldn't exist. But clearly, we do exist, and the universe can't handle it, which is a problem." Viktor says which Five replies as a big problem.

"Hold on Five, so we caused a paradox. What does that mean?" Allison asks.

"It's hard to say. It's all been theoretical until now, but things have started to disappear. Like lobsters." Five answers which leads me to believe that he is the smart one in the family.

"And a shit ton of cows!" Klaus said, raising his head from the ground.

"But I have a feeling this is just the beginning." Five says

"A feeling? Aren't you retired?" Allison says "you know you can't keep dragging us through hell because you have an itch only an apocalypse can scratch and then expect us to deal with the fallout. You're not the boss!"

"Fine, I'm the messenger, and I'm telling you something terrible is coming."

"Then let's go attack the Sparrows, get the briefcase, and go home." Allison argues.

"This is our home, Allison. Accept it."

"Let's go" Diego whispers into my ear and takes my arm.

"Where are we going?" I said as we safely escaped the group.

"Well whatever it is we have to be ready for it" Diego says as we enter an empty room and he holds a fighting stance.

"Seriously, I just saved your ass from the Sparrow guys and you think I need to learn how to fight. I'm not doing this." I said as I turned my back.

"Hey Joey" Diego says and as a turn around the guy upper cuts me.

"What the fuck," I said holding my nose.

"Always be alert" he said, moving back to where he first stood. We then continued to throw punches until I socked him in the eye.

"Always be alert," I said, mocking him. I put my hand out for him to grab and his eye came very close to me. "Eeee, you should probably put some ice on that" I continued as I helped him walk to the door.

"Where did you learn how to fight like that?" Diego asked.

"Uhh, long story" I said.