Chapter 23: Been Here, Done That

Previously:
I was one of the last to crest the hill despite Penny pulling me but I could tell before I even got there that what they saw was not what they were expecting.

"Woah," Harry said.

When Penny and I finally got there, the others were speechless, looking down the hill at what limited view we had of Camp Half-Blood from here.

"Perry Johnson, what a surprise," a dry tone came from behind a set of cards at the playing table that I found Chiron at. Obviously Dionysus was loosing if his tone and Chiron's much too calm face was anything to go by.

"Mr. D," I said calmly in reply. "Hey, Chiron. Guys, this is Lord Dionysus, god of wine, and Chiron, trainer of heroes."

"Percy,  my boy, how was the trip?" Chiron put down his cards for a moment and smiled up at me from his wheelchair.

"Over before we knew it," I said happily. My old mentor rolled over to embrace me, which I accepted gladly. "What's with the wheelchair? It's not like they haven't seen a centaur before."

"We're awaiting the arrival of Mr. Underwood." Chiron explained. He tried swiping at a tear without my notice but I saw it. "He got an urgent call from a saytr in the field for an extraction. You know how that goes."

"Extraction?" Penny questioned.

She and the others had followed my example and sat down at the table in the empty seats. Poor Harry and Hermione was sat on either side of Mr. D and were shifting in their seats uncomfortably.

"Something caused alarm in the mortal world to where the demigod that the saytr was watching would be in danger enough to need to be brought immediately to camp," I said. "Sometimes that means a monster has figured out that there was a demigod there or the demigod somehow figured out who they were without outside help."

"Yes, nothing to worry about," Chiron said pleasantly. "Mr. Underwood will get them here safely, though he is sure to be sad to have missed your arrival." He glanced down at his watch. "Though he's been gone long enough so they should be back by now."

It was then that I heard a goat-like bleat. "Percy!"

Looking over my shoulder, I saw a familiar rapidly incoming saytr charging in our direction with a trail of what I assumed to be a demigod and the other saytr that called it in.

"Grover!" I stood up from the table and prepared to be plowed over. Grover can be fast, yes, but his brakes aren't that fine tuned.

True to form, I had to put out a hand on the railing of the porch to keep from the both of us toppling over.

"I'm so glad you made it! I was called away to help bring a demigod to camp because some empousae caught onto his scent." He explained after his hug. "It was a close thing but not as close as some other jobs I've had."

"Like me?" I asked with a smile.

He laughed. "Only one person beats you in that category!"

"Well, let's get them settled, Grover, shall we?" Chiron cut in before we could really get going. "I will take over with young Austin here and you can take them to their cabins and show them the ropes. Percy, I expect you to visit afterwards so we can catch up."

"Will do, Chiron," I said, beckoning to the rest of the group. "Guys, you remember Grover?"

"You have donkey legs?" Ron asked, his eyes trained on the especially furry legs of my oldest friend.

"A goat, Ron," I corrected. "Be careful how you describe some things in this part of the mythical world. Any other saytr would probably have trampled you for that."