V

Asmith's Point of View

As I looked at him I realized that my intention to just say goodbye would have never worked. I would have made myself stay somehow. I would have rationalized some kind of excuse to say that I need to stay here. It could have been something so minuscule and yet I would have stayed. Now he was inviting me with him and I couldn't say no to him.

The reason that I knew Luke, and yet he didn't know me was because of a deal I had made with the Fates, and with Mnemosyne, Goddess of Memory, mother of the muses. The deal was that I would not become the half-blood of the prophecy and that I would spend my time rather in the Underworld, training for the day that I would help the real half-blood of the prophecy fulfill their destiny. That was easy enough to agree to but what killed me was the second part. To not be the half-blood that I was intended to be, I had to be wiped from everyone's memory who in had ever been close to. That wouldn't have been hard if it wasn't for Luke.

I had loved Luke ever since the day we had met when we were children. We ran around living on the streets and fighting monsters together. Those were the best times of my childhood. All of those memories would have to be erased from him, and he would never remember me. I suppose, however, that Mnemosyne felt some sort of pity for me and made it so that after I helped the prophecy be fulfilled I could give Luke his memory back. I immediately agreed to this without knowing that Luke would be the one that I was fighting against in the battle. After the battle was done though he was still alive. I spoke to Mnemosyne before coming to Camp Half-Blood and the deal was still in place.

My problem now was that I didn't know how I could make him remember me from his past. My only option was to accept his invitation to go on his quest with him and start to rebuild our friendship from the bottom up. Although it would kill me inside to be that close to him and yet so far, I would at least be with him. Also if he did regain his memories, there was no telling how he would react to seeing me for the first time after so many years.

"I think that I like that you don't know me. I know that you know everything about what I have done but you don't know me as a person. I want a friend and I'd like to start with you," he said.

"I'll go with you then. When do you plan on leaving?"

"Three days at most. Will you stay in the camp while I prepare everything and get ready to go?" He asked me.

I thought about it and figured that it wouldn't be the best thing for me to stay here among all the other half-bloods. There would be way to many questions being asked. Most of them would come from the fact that I was older than Percy and was a child of the Big Three. That would be too much to explain to anyone. I knew even Luke would ask eventually.

As of on cue he said,"I have a question to ask you if you don't mind."

"What is it?" I asked.

"You look about my age yet you are a child of Hades. How is that possible that you are here. Shouldn't you have been the one in the battle instead of Percy?" He asked me.

I sighed and told him the story that I had thought of as a cover for years. "My father believed that I wasn't going to be ready to be a hero, the one of the prophecy, so he made a deal with the Gods. I wouldn't become the half-blood of the prophecy, but I would have to grow up and train in the underworld." This was for the most part true, but I left out the part about his memory being wiped because he would have no idea what I was talking about.

"Really?" He asked, with a surprised look on his face. "No offense, but what made you so different compared to any of the other Big Three children for you to be spared?"

"All I know is that I'm supposed to have a different fate. A different path to follow and it wasn't the one that would fulfill the prophecy," I said to him. This was true. I didn't exactly know why they had said yes to me in the first place.

"I understand that. So will you stay until I am able to leave then?" He asked. I realized that I hadn't given him an answer at this point.

As much as I would have liked to stay safe and be here I couldn't. I needed to get my own things together. I would also go to the underworld and see my father Hades. I knew that he would not like me going on a quest, especially with Luke. I was supposed to be done with my side of the deal and should have gone off on my own.

"I can't stay here," I told him.

"Are you sure? No one would mind you being around," he said.

"I'd rather not. I don't want all the others here asking me why I am older than Percy and a child of Hades and am not the half-blood of the prophecy. I will meet you in three days time at the bottom of half-blood hill on the mortal side," I said.

"I can understand that," he said and stood up. I did as well.

"I'll see you then," he asked.

"Yeah see you then," I said. I didn't know what to do so I just started walking away.

"So that's how you say goodbye," he said sarcastically.

"What did you expect something nice from a child of Hades?" I said turning around and putting my arms out.

"Not at all. See you later Asmith," he called out.

"See you in a few days Luke!" I called out. With a smirk on face I decided that I needed to give him a little show. I did what any other child of Hades would do and shadow traveled away, just far enough so he wouldn't see me but so I could see him.

"Dam," was all I heard and smirked to myself yet again. This could be a lot more fun than I thought.