Chapter 5: Father Clawthorne

A/n: After this is one of my favorite parts of the book! Hope you enjoy Mr. Clawthorne's entrance to the series.

Caleb's POV

Here I am again. Sitting on the barstool with Catherine kneeling at my feet with a glowing blue ring at my bleeding knees.

"You seriously need to stop endangering your life and get injured all the time," Catherine sighed.

I laughed and rubbed the back of my neck, "I'm sorry. It's just- quite dangerous out there, and I can't let Philip alone with that. Especially with those, what do you call them? Slitherbeasts?"

"Why do you think I keep asking you to be more cautious? I grew up here! I know the dangers!" Catherine replied as she concentrated. "You and your brother are gonna die if you keep going on those adventures without the right protections and those atrocious outfits for the weather!"

A smug smile came over my face and I cocked my head to the side, glancing down at Catherine. "Well, if I stop getting injured, I won't get to sit here and watch your pretty face concentrate on healing me. Plus, that coat has been in my family for generations! My mother sewed those patches on just to make sure the rain didn't soak my clothes!"

Catherine looked up at me, cheekily, "If you want to see my pretty face more often, you could just spend more time with me, you moron. You don't have to get injured for that. Now, sit still Blondie." She waved her finger around with another glowing healing spell.

"You are wonderful, Catherine! Are you aware of that?" I questioned as a pink dust came over her pale skin.

"Of course she is!" A deeper, unfamiliar voice answered from the front door.

Mrs. Clawthorne walked into the Kitchen, and Catherine ran towards the bearded man with a long brown ponytail with gray streaks. "Papa! You're back!"

"My little dove! I missed you so much!" Mr. Clawthorne said.

Mrs. Clawthorne strolled towards her husband and kissed his cheek. "Welcome back, Dearest."

"And my lovely Wife, of course," Mr. Clawthorne added.

Mr. Clawthorne turned to me, "And who is that? A Son-in-law?"

Wow! Bold assumption sir. Ummmm... I raced my hands up in innocence, flustered. "Oh no, Mr. Clawthorne, I'm not-"

Mr. Clawthorne gripped his wife and Catherine to his sides in a great hug looking at me with shining eyes and a big toothy smile. "Not engaged to Catherine yet? What are you waiting for, son?"

"Mr. Clawthorne, please, Your daughter and I are not in a romantic relationship." This is so awkward.

"What is not yet true, can become it," Mr. Clawthorne insisted in his husky voice.

"Papa!" Catherine exclaimed, embarrassed.

"What? Am I wrong?"

And with that, Mrs. Clawthorne pushed her husband out of the uncomfortable atmosphere, "Come darling, you must be hungry. Long journey wasn't it?"

"You can bet your wedding ring on that! Twas a very long journey home. The palistrom forests are aplenty this year for harvest-" Mr. Clawthorne chuckled. Catherine with a smile tugging the edge of her lips. We were finally alone, so I eased into the stiff air in the room, "Cheerful guy."

Catherine turns her head away in embarrassment, "You have to excuse him, Caleb. He's really just looking forward to the day he gets a Son-in-Law. He always does this."

"Does what?"

"Asking me when I'm bringing a son-in-law home."

"My, how many broken hearts are there because of you then," I ask, repeating that same question she asked me with.