Chapter 33: Lying on His Bed (After the Fight Pt 1 of 3)

A/n: Prepare for an extra sad chapter, and a TRIGGER WARNING is majorly advised for blood.

Catherine's POV

"This took a lot more strength than I thought..."

I lay on my knees. I had a raging headache and the baby was kicking furiously in my abdomen. I rubbed my temples to soothe myself as best as I could. As I dragged my hand along my face, I pulled at my side strands of hair and as I looked up, all I was met with was the raging inferno, that was getting bigger by the minute, and the remains of our cottage, burnt to stakes and splinters and the stone walls had crumbled down.

I gasped at the roof of our house, steam was built up and hot air burst out of micro holes. The smoke was getting too much and was suffocating. I called out for my husband, "Caleb? Caleb?! Sweetheart, can you hear me?!"

I heard a faint curr from Opal and I heard distant coughing, so I called out louder, "Caleb? Caleb!"

I looked towards a pile of wood stacks. I heard whispers, murmurs, and coughing. I rushed to the messy pile and struggled to push everything off so I could get to him. Caleb held his abdomen, a dark raspberry color had stained his white linen shirt and flowed down his side.

Who the Hell...I didn't even want to answer that question, knowing exactly who the hell would. Thank titan I sent him off, cursed for good.

I jumped into the hole, and knelt beside him, raising his head quickly. I cradled him in my arms. "Caleb! Caleb! Caleb, Sweetheart, It's alright, I'm right here! Can you hear me?"

"W-What are you d-doing here? H-He was supposed to l-look after you," Caleb stuttered. He was feeling more limp in my lap by the minute. He was having trouble breathing and the smoke and ash weren't helping.

"Who?" I asked.

"Flapjack," Caleb answered.

"I'm not here because Flapjack told me to return," I explained with tears welling in my eyes. "I haven't seen him since I left you with that kiss. I saw the smoke from my position in the forest where I had to stop because of the baby. I then thought you were in major trouble and I needed to return! What Happened? What did that arsehole do?"

Caleb winced in pain, "Argh!" A darker red covered his lips and dripped in small drops down his chin. I looked at his stomach and gasped hard. A huge bloody wound resided there. The hole was plunged in deep and it was oozing. I struggled not to throw up at the sight of it.

"You said he wouldn't hurt you badly!" I recalled, officially crying. My eyes were itchy and irritated. I felt overheated and sick. The pains from the baby were killing me and my heart sped up tremendously.

"I was wrong," Caleb tried to speak loudly.

"It's alright! It's alright! Shh, it's fine! Sweetheart, it's fine!" I tried to convince him, but it was more like I was convincing myself. "You'll be fine. I'll just- I-I'll just heal the wound enough to stop the bleeding, then we can take you to the Healing Coven professionals, and you'll be fine!"

I tried a healing spell, drawing the glowing blue circle, and it shorted out. "You'll be bedridden for some weeks but You'll be Fine, and alive, and everything will be fine and- and-"

"I just have to-" I tried the spell again and again, and it still wasn't working.

"Kitty-"

"ARGH! Why won't this work?!" I grunted in frustration. I will save you, Caleb! Everything will be alright! We'll be alright!

I cried out some more, "Shh, Sweetheart. I-I need to concentrate! I-I must!"

Caleb reached up for my cheek. He caressed it with his bloody hand, resting it there as if it were some form of comfort. But, it was the only thing that made me come out of my small funk and concentrate on his words. "Catherine, listen to me."

"You are too weakened and emotional to focus and heal me properly," He stated. "And even if you did succeed in healing the wound, I fear it would not be of much help to me. I've lost a lot of blood already."

I heard Opal's wings fluttering in my ear. Caleb's body was rising and falling at an uneven rate and he felt weaker in his grasp at my cheek. He suddenly took a deeper breath which turned into a hacking cough.

"I'm coughing it up even," Caleb referenced the blood. It was dripping from his chin again, and crusting over and over on his lips. His hand lowered from my cheek, back into his lap. "I'm afraid there's nothing you or anyone can do to change my fate."

He was saying he was accepting he could die?! Why the hell would he accept that when I can heal him! People can heal him! He needs to stay alive, for me! For our baby!

"Don't say that!" I scolded loudly.

Tears fell in groups down my face. I was angry at almost everything. I hated Philip the most for stabbing Caleb, wanting to kill off his own brother, my husband, and the father of his own nephew or niece!

I was mad at Caleb for doing this on his own, and now wanting to pay the price. I'm mad that he sent me away when I could've helped him, even though it was for the safety of our child.

I was slightly anxious at our child because they wouldn't stop making me feel their kicking. They made me weakened and emotional which leads me to not being able to heal their father. I love them to the ends of the Isles and back, and back again, but still...

I squeezed my husband's hand in both of mine, "I won't let you die! I won't let you! Stay with me. You need to stay with me! We just found each other! What am I going to do without you?"

I was in a frantic panic and my heart was racing faster than I thought it could.

"You managed everything before me," Caleb reminded me. "You will be able to do it after me too. You're a strong witch, you don't need me!"

I SWEAR TO TITAN AND HIS FUCKING STUBBORNNESS!

"YES I DO! I NEED YOU! I LOVE YOU!" I cried out. "And our child needs you!"

I brought his raspberry hand to my stomach, officially staining my dress with its print. "Catherine..." Caleb tried to reason. Tears were welling in his eyes now.

I brought his hand back up to my face, squeezing it again, crying into it, "Please! I can't lose you! You're the love of my life Blondie!"