Chapter 17 Lost

3rd POV

"Mama? When is nii-chan coming back?"

Rena was looking up at Santa who was sitting at the kitchen table, his head in his hands.

"I don't know..." she murmured.

"IS he coming back?" Reze asked as she walked into the room.

Santa remained silent.

It had been 3 days since he last left the house. Mr. Wolf and Santa had gone out looking for him multiple times but they found no trace of him. It was as if he just disappeared.

Rena's eyes started watering, "N-Nii-chan isn't coming back?" she whimpered, her hands clutching her dress

The air was heavy in the room. Reze and Santa were thinking the same thing, but they didn't want to say anything. They didn't want to see Rena cry and they didn't want to believe it either.

The front door opened and Mr. Wolf walked into the kitchen.

"Any luck?" Santa asked.

Mr. Wolf just sighed and shook his head.

Dinner was quiet that night. Nobody said anything. Reze just picked at her food, Santa kept glancing at Mr. Wolf with a worried expression who was just sighing and Rena couldn't stop sniffling.

After dinner, nothing much happened. They all just got ready for bed. No talking, no interactions, no anything. Around midnight, Reze turned off the lights and climbed onto the pull-out couch. She was drifting off to sleep when she felt something pressing against her back. She turned to see Rena curled up beside her.

"Rena?"

Rena looked up at her and Reze saw that her eyes her red and swollen, "I.... *sniff* can't sleep alone... *sniff* Can I sleep with you?"

Reze let out a small sigh and hugged her and pulled her closer, "Of course, you can." she said softly.

Two lay in the dark for a while. Reze listening to Rena's soft sniffles, "Where did Ne-chan go?" Reze's throat tightened, "I don't know." was her only answer.

(Time skip brought to you Reze holding Rena)

The morning was a blur to Reze, she just felt empty inside. She walked into Y/n's room and looked around. It felt... empty. Not like it didn't have anyone inside it but like it didn't serve any purpose anymore.

Reze ran her hand against the desk, a thin layer of dust coating it. But she found something a little strange about the desk though. There was a small slit in the wood. She trailed her finger along it. The slit formed a square, tiny holes could be felt in each corner. Reze dug her nail into the slit. There was a small "pop" and the hidden trap door swung open.

Inside were a bunch of stuff: A file, a folded piece of paper, a small box, a small contraption Reze didn't recognize, and a cassette tape.

Reze reaches down and picks up the file. It was your standard vanilla file, the kind that you would find in an office or something. The strange thing about this one though was that on the front were the words "CLASSIFIED" on the front.