Chapter 1

Kamal was hovering around me, as usual. Ever since, my father gave his consent to give my hand in marriage to him, he has been acting this way. It made my blood boil with anger. How did two men think it was okay to decide a woman's marriage without even asking her? Like she was some business deal between partners? It was even more unbelievable that the said woman's father didn't approach her with Kamal's proposal. My father - who raised Kamal as his own son after his father Bhargav's death - chose to ignore the fact that I always looked upon him as a friend and almost like a brother. Business and wealth seemed to be more important to my father than his own daughter. My lovely father went further and arranged a lunch date for me, heedless to my numerous tantrums. I was glad that the huge sunglasses covered my face or else Kamal would have noticed my wrathful eyes.

"Reena, what would you like to eat?"

I snapped out of my reverie at Kamal's voice. I realised that I was staring at the menu card for way too long.

"The lemon garlic butter pasta", I quickly replied, looking at the first thing that caught my eye.

"Well, I'll have your lamb roast and bring your most expensive bottle of wine. Make it quick", he said, snapping his fingers. The waiter hurried away.

Suddenly, he leaned over and brought his fingers near my face. I froze.

He took the sunglasses off my face and sat back on his chair, smiling. I panicked at this unexpected removal of my mask. I rearranged my features in a quizzical expression.

"Don't hide your beautiful eyes from me", he said, trying to hold my eyes.

I felt uncomfortable. Is this how romance is supposed to feel? I might have blushed at the awkwardness, because he thought I was shy.

"This is the first time I'm seeing you blush in fifteen years", he said happily.

I was torn between sympathy for his assumption and and irritation at his presumption that I liked him. Did he even like me for me or just money and background? Did he consider me a friend as I always believed or was it always with an intention? I was such a naive fool.

Just then a waiter hurried over to our table with a bottle of wine, saving me from further conversation. Alcohol was exactly what I needed. I just hoped that I didn't completely loose control of my tongue. Thanks to the wine, the lunch now seemed tolerable. What could have been a regular lunch between two friends was forced and thick with tension, that Kamal was completely oblivious to.

As I drank the last glass of the delicious wine, I choked over something. I coughed up a gorgeous diamond ring in the napkin. When I regained my breathing, Kamal was kneeling before me.

"I know your father agreed to our marriage. But I wanted to do it in the proper way.

Reena Desai, I have always loved you. You gave me the meaning for the word 'love'. I wish to be on your side forever. Marry me!", he said.

The audacity of this guy. Why doesn't he ask if I ever loved him, before he decided to propose me? Remembering my father's words with brutal clarity, I replied,

I just nodded my head. He quickly put the ring on my left hand, following it with a kiss. My levels of discomfort were steadily rising. I hoped he wouldn't kiss me more. But to my misfortune, he wanted to torture me more. He cupped my cheeks with a little too much force, as I tried to turn my face away and gave a quick peck on my lips. God! I wanted to slap him.

He knotted his hands with mine and pulled me towards the car.

"I promise to you, my love, from today onwards, you are the queen of Bangalore", he said arrogantly.

Like I cared.

************
Flashback:

I was reading one of my favourite novels, 'the Godfather' in the garden. I looked up to see my father walking towards me. His expression was triumphant. I smiled at him.

"I hope this smile stays forever on your face, Reena", he said patting my head.

"There is something very important I wish to discuss with you. Kamal has asked for your hand in marriage", he said studying my face carefully.

"Kamal?!", I was stunned. I had always looked at him as a friend. He never tried to initiate any relationship other than that with me. "Papa, I have never looked at him that way. I don't think we'll work out. Please don't accept it and let him down easy", I pleaded.

His face turned grim.

"I have already accepted his proposal. It's good for the family", he said firmly.

"This is my life,papa. You can't just take decisions like this without even asking me. I won't marry him", I yelled stubbornly. I controlled the tears from falling out of my eyes with enormous effort.

All my life, my father had given me nothing but complete freedom. This was not how my papa acted. But I also knew his business mattered to him more than anything else in this world.

"It's good for the family", he repeated grimly. "We can't let our money leave the confines of this house. You will marry him. He'll take good care of you. I have agreed to everything you've asked of me. Nobody gives anything for free. Now that you've grown up, it's your turn to honour my only wish", he said.

'Nobody gives anything for free', echoed in my ears. Once a businessman, always a businessman.

"Kamal is returning to Bangalore day after tomorrow. He is going to take you out on a date. Behave!" He walked into the house with the help of his engraved cane.

I let my long-suppressed tears to fall. What am I going to do?

**************

Author's note:
Hi guys! I hope you like this chapter. This is my first work. Be kind!