Chapter 15

Hi guys! Belatedly wishing you all a happy Ganesh Chaturthi! I'm sorry for the inconsistent update. I had a few guests over and I couldn't write. Thank you for all your lovely comments! I hope you'll enjoy this chapter!
*****************

Crash!

The sound of the shattering china and the splattering of the warm cocoa brought Rocky back to his senses. Our lips had just been an inch apart. He immediately dropped his arms to his sides, and stepped away as if in a trance. The crackling tension disappeared, as I stood equal parts relieved and disappointed. Rocky was moving backwards, carefully avoiding the broken china. He held out his hand.

"Careful, Sona!", He said, as I avoided the mess, sidestepping his helpful hands. He slowly let his hands drop. I didn't want to meet his eyes, conflicted about my feelings for him.

"You should rest," I said, bluntly, not looking at him.

I didn't need to look up to feel his hurt gaze. He was silent for a few moments.

"When will you stop pushing me away? I know you have feelings for me. You act like you don't care, but if I get injured, you are in more pain than me," he stated.

I finally deigned to look at him.

"It doesn't. I felt guilty, because I was the reason you got shot," I replied.

"Then, I must've imagined the kiss," he said, as if speaking to himself.

I blushed hard.

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, turning away from him.

"Sure, Sona. Don't worry, we have all the time in the world, to catch up later," he smirked, "you should sleep. I'll see you in your dreams."

He started walking away with a chuckle, like I was a child trying to fool him with a trick that had already failed.

I laid down on the bed, divided into multiple parts by my conflicting feelings for him. A part of me wanted him near me at all times. Another part of me hated and blamed him for all of my series of unfortunate events. A part of me hated me for hating him. Another hated me for loving him. One part of me wanted to push him so hard, that his love for me will break and realise that he deserved better. Another yearned to pamper him like a child. I fell into an uneasy sleep, mingled with sad dreams of my once happy family and Rocky, just as he had promised.

**********

We landed in KGF, to be welcomed by a tumultuous crowd. Some were even shedding tears on seeing him healthy as a sunshine. I tried stepping away, as the maids performed an aarthi to welcome him, but he held my wrist with a tight grip. We were welcomed as a couple instead, replete with tilak. Releasing his hold, he turned to me seriously.

"Sona, I have some unfinished business. Take care. I will coming soon," he said.

I understood his train of thought.

"Return him back to his graveyard. This time for real, okay?" I replied.

"Of course," he said with a sinister smile. He turned to the door, with Vittal and other guards.

I walked to my room piecing things together in my mind, that had earlier skipped my notice. How did Adheera survive? How did he escape anyone's notice? He was living scarily close to the mines. Someone surely was supporting him from the outside. It had not been my father. I had seen Andrews and Daya celebrating that night. Were they hiding the truth all along? Or was it Gurupandian. He was a minister. He had the ammo to control stuff like this, without drawing too much attention. There was a snake in the ranks and I had to warn Rocky about it.