Chapter 12

I was a smug five-year old sitting on my father's lap like it was the biggest throne on earth...

I was trying the bicycle for the first time, equally excited and scared. Ma and papa were on either side making sure I didn't fall...

Swimming...

Me throwing water balloons on my father and his business partners. He didn't even get angry. He just joined me in the fun, full of laughter...

My father took me to a gun range and taught me how to aim...

My mother's funeral...

The cold, unapproachable businessman after my mother's death...

Memories kept reeling painfully. I jammed my foot on the accelerator, trying to suppress the tears that were begging to fall. I was taking a huge risk, speeding along the winding, mountainous terrain, but I had nothing to lose. There was nothing worth living for.

Somewhere, through the searing agony, warning bells rang in my head. My father and his associates met a common enemy in Rocky. There was just no point in fighting amongst themselves. It meant only one thing.

This was a trap.

But I had to see my father.

Within a few minutes, my predictions hit the bull's eye.

A barricade full of rugged looking, armed men in heavy jeeps blocked the road completely. There was no escape route, other than considering a jump from the mountain.

I slammed the breaks, halting a few metres away from the dangerous gang.

I thought I had seen the worst of goons, but they were mere caricatures in front of these men.

I took the gun in my hand, steeling myself for their next move.

One man - who seemed to be their commander - gestured another man to go and get me.

Oh great! From being a hostage to being another's hostage! Maybe they'll kill me straightaway...

But I won't go down without giving a fight...

It would be stupid to get out of the car and I had only five bullets. I waited, my nerves jangling madly.

When the man stepped close enough, I shot him.

Now that they knew I was armed, they tried a different approach.

They quickly regrouped and collectively surrounded the car from all sides.

Resigning myself to my fate, I made sure that I took four of them down.

A monstrous hand brutally twisted my wrist, making me drop the now empty gun. My captor didn't leave at that. He dragged me like a ragdoll, to his car. I controlled my screams of pain, not wishing to give them the satisfaction.

The car and the battalion of jeeps started moving. He didn't release my hands.

Suddenly, there was a huge roar and a jeep that was following the car straight up flew overhead and crashed into the jeep leading us, spectacularly. We turned behind to look at the cause.

It was Rocky, his thunderous expression framed by flame and smoke.

Instantly, my chest flooded with courage and relief.

And... fear for his safety, no matter how much I denied.

The goons started firing at him at once.

He expertly swerved to avoid the bullets. He wisely maneuvered the car as his weapon and hit the other cars at a great speed, making them tumble to the sides.