Chapter 22

"Bali?"

"Yes, beti. Rocky is planning on expanding the business," he said, uncomfortably as he realised I had no idea what was happening.

"Oh..."

"How was your trip to Bangalore?", He asked, changing the subject.

"It was fine, uncle. Everything was smooth," I replied, politely.

"Mashallah," he said, "if you want anything, let me know," with a warm smile.

I spent the day working and pondering about Rocky's sudden business expansion. Somehow, it felt connected to me.

**********
It was a month, since Rocky left for Indonesia. Apparently, Khasim chacha received daily instructions on running this place. But, I never received a call from him. Not one. I was miserable and lonely. I had to divert my complete attention to Ira &co. to stop myself from regretting my existence.

My business was doing well. I had started getting some huge orders. It was time to open another outlet. I thought about Mysore and Mangalore. I didn't want to ask Rocky, even though he was my partner. As I kept thinking about the conundrum, Chacha came in.

"What is it, uncle?"

"Beti, it's time to tighten your security. Your new bodyguard is here. Will you meet her?", He asked, tentatively.

Mystified, I nodded.

He beckoned someone to come inside.

A lithe, young lady dressed casually in t-shirt and jeans walked into the room. She surveyed me impassively.

"Good morning, ma'am. I am Anu. I've been personally selected by Rocky sir," she said, confidently.

I looked at chacha.

"Why do I need a personal bodyguard, uncle? It's not like I'm leaving this place," I said, listlessly.

"Or does he want to make sure I don't escape?", I asked, narrowing my eyes.

He seemed saddened by this.

"No, beti. He said, you might need to go out. It would be better if you had at least one by your side at all times," he said.

Tears stung my eyes at the timing of his statement. Just when I was planning on Mysore.

Controlling my expression, "ok then, uncle," I said.

I shook hands with Anu, who offered me a polite smile.

**********
A week later:
Anu practically became my shadow, that I was forgetting I had someone around me all the time. Since, I was occupied with the upcoming projects, I didn't question her. We were on our way to Mysore, in search of a suitable property. She was sitting quietly, beside me, eyes hidden under classy shades.

"Anu, can I ask you something?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"How were you selected by your boss? Tell me something about yourself, will you?"

"I am a trained shooter. I'm the sister of Rocky sir's weapons supplier. My brother introduced me to sir," she said.

"Why did you agree?"

"He requested me," she said.

What? I almost snorted. Rocky never requested anyone.

"So?", I raised an eyebrow, "how did your brother agree?"

"He doesn't mind, as long as I bring him money," she shrugged, carelessly.

"Oh..."

We reached the potential site, saving me from awkward silence.

**********

Finalising the site, I hired the same team of architects from Bangalore. They brought their designs for me to look at. They were explaining their models one by one, when I noticed one of the women - I think, Shobha - having a noticeable belly. I didn't know if she were pregnant, but the sight felt like a blow to me. My palms started sweating.

Reena, you're the dumbest woman in the whole world.

I clenched my fist so hard, that my nails were digging into my palm. I waited for the presentation to end. I breathed in and out, maintained a calm facade. Sang froid.

The team wrapped up their work and I approved the final model. When they left me on the construction site alone, I sagged into my chair. I quickly wore my shades.

My period was delayed by two weeks.

**********
My anxiety skyrocketed as I had failed to think about the consequences of my actions. I was not ready to become a mother. A single mother, considering the fact that I was not in speaking terms with the father. It was even more uncomfortable because I had Anu with me at all times. There was only one way to find out.

I needed to go to Bangalore and visit my family doctor. I called her to inform her about my urgency.

I ordered the driver to take us to Bangalore. Anu concealed her surprise well, as she communicated with the security team. I touched her hand, asking her to pause.

"It is highly personal. It will be only us," I said, in a low voice.

She looked at me uneasily. Nodding, she ordered the other guards to stay put.

We reached Bangalore by night. I informed the driver about the destination.

I pretended not to see Anu's widening eyes at the stop.

'Royal Women and childcare hospital'

Dr. Latha, was waiting for me in her office. I quickly apologised for making her wait late at night.

"It's okay, my child. Patients always come first," she smiled warmly,"and you are special. I delivered you, after all."

I smiled wanly.

"What is it, Reena?"

"I think I am pregnant."

************************************
Hi guys! Keep supporting and voting!

Did you like this chapter? Let me know in the comments.