Chapter 27

My heart tugged as the grief and fury in Rocky's face played in my head over and over again. I remembered the night he told me about his mother. While my father, Andrews, Kamal and Daya, fought hard for the money, just because of greed and bloodlust, he fought hard to keep his promise to his mother.

He didn't have to go through this alone. Just like the people of KGF helped me with their love, I would help him with mine.

I made a resolution. I would stay by his side, till the day my life ended. If he didn't want me anymore, I would still look after him, but unobtrusively.

**********
Rocky needed to know he was not alone. I called my office to inform them I was not coming. I adorned myself in a gorgeous black lehenga and a huge silver jhumka. Rocky usually came home for lunch. I waited in the corridor that led to our rooms.

Footsteps echoed in the silence of the mansion. He didn't see me at first, heading straight to his room. Should I call him out?

He paused, sensing a pair of eyes on him. My heart thudded loudly, as he slowly turned, facing me.

I started walking towards him, through the billowing curtains. He stood staring at me, as if in a trance. There was magic in the air, spinning an intricate web around us.

I slowly circled him, the way he walked around me the first time he saw me. Rocky just blinked, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down.

I leaned into him, holding his eyes.

"Congratulations," I said, softly.

Bringing my mouth to his ear, I said the words that were only his to hear.

"I love you."

I could feel the tremors running through his frozen, solid frame. I grabbed his hand, and dragged him to my room, closing it behind me.

Rocky still stood like a mountain, unmoving.

Grabbing his lapel,"Raja Krishnappa Bairya, I love you," I said, again and embraced him. There was only silence. Afraid that he didn't love me anymore, I hugged him tightly, and squeezed my eyes shut, wishing it wasn't true.

He slowly returned my embrace.

"Is this real?", He whispered to himself.

I pinched his waist.

"Ouch!"

"Very real," I said, seriously.

Grabbing my wrist, he extricated himself, breathing hard.

"Do you still love me?", I questioned, tentatively.

"I never stopped loving you," he replied, looking into my eyes.

I smiled, with tears in my eyes.

I stood on my toes and kissed his forehead and then his right cheek, then left...

I paused in front of his lips, a mere inch separating us. Breathing deeply, I softly pressed my lips against his, like he was made of glass.

"I love you, Reena, the love of my life," he spoke into my lips.

It was like a bomb waiting to explode in the pit of my stomach. He weaved his hand into my hair, as he started kissing me passionately. I had to hold on to his shoulder, to prevent my knees from giving out.

Taking a moment to breathe, he leaned down, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I want to live in this moment forever, my queen," he whispered.

"Me too," I smiled, caressing his face.

"Will you spend the day with me?", He asked, with an endearing hint of nervousness.

"I would love that," I said, pecking his nose.

**********
We strolled hand-in-hand through the spacious terrace, hearts skipping with joy.

"Why did you confess all of a sudden?" he asked.

"I didn't want you to be alone anymore. We have suffered enough separation" I said, entwining my arm around his elbow.

I continued, "I have tried to confess twice in the past. I guess third time's the charm, eh? I think I fell for you, when you didn't touch me in that bar, even though I had challenged you. I was sure about my feelings for you, but stuff happened... That day, you reminded me of men like Kamal, Andrews and Daya. The cruel men I have had to grow up with. I felt like an object, that you needed to own. I never thought there would be a day I would be scared of you. And, you... grabbed me by my hair," I said, my voice breaking.

He hung his head in shame, starting to say something.

Not allowing him to interrupt, "Then, you gave me space when I needed. I also realised you needed space to get over...that...day. I knew you were guilty and sorry, but I was also angry. I was depressed, but I had a clearer mindset. Fathima ma, Khasim chacha and the kids had all the reasons to hate me. I was a total bitch and you left because of me.

"They didn't. They all cared for me so much. I know it wasn't forced. I have never been loved that way, for the past ten years. And I realised, that was how love was supposed to be. Unconditional. Irrespective of the flaws. You can't just choose the lovable traits, over love itself. I waited for you to come back. I have never been bold in love, and I couldn't call you. I was afraid I would hear that you had moved on. It was an open secret here. Everyone teased me so much," I laughed.

Extricating his hand, Rocky turned to me and cupped my face.

"I am sorry. I always wanted you to be happy. But, keeping you safe became my biggest priority. That horrible day, I realised that I repeatedly caused you nothing but pain. I was guilty of killing a man, who had done nothing to me. I went mad with grief. No apology I made would suffice. I am a hard-core criminal. I have been an assassin. I kill people who mess with me, but for the first time, I felt the blood in my hands. Then, your scared face and your screams of pain... They were my worst nightmares. It haunted me every night. I couldn't come back...to see that face. Crying because of me. Me being around, would only hurt you more.

"I am sorry, that I had to trap you here, even then. I have too many enemies, who wouldn't blink to torture or kill you. I decided to stay away. You would be happy, if I weren't a part of your life. I shouldn't force my love on you. It was coercion. If I truly loved you, I had to let you go, for the sake of your happiness and mental peace. Your safety and happiness were, are and will be my priority. That is why I didn't come back. I kept tabs on you through Khasim chacha. I had to resist the maddening urges to see you. But, I couldn't bear it, if you looked at me like I was a monster.

"Ramika Sen coming to power, was the perfect cover to come back. I was so nervous about seeing you. I wanted to hug you and never let you go, but I remained distant, because I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. I promised myself I wouldn't make a single move. It would kill me to see you flinch away from me. I felt the change in your attitude towards me, but I was afraid I was being delusional.

"I believed I was dreaming, when you came up to me. You don't know how much I've yearned to hear those words from you, from the moment I saw you in Bangalore. I love you, my queen," he said, kissing my forehead.

I hugged him, resting my cheek against his chest. The sound of his racing heart soothed the pain I felt for both of us. Little did we know, that most of the people were watching our embrace with their mouths hanging open.

*************************************