Chapter 20

TW: Mild violence

A scream kept resonating around me. It took me a few moments to recognise the screams as my own. Rocky strode towards me, his anger a visible black cloud. He kicked the body away.

I squeezed my eyes shut, tears streaming down my face.

He grabbed me by my hair, tilting my face up.

"You slept with me yesterday. I wake up and now you're in another man's arms. Why, Sona? ", He said, his voice rough with anger, "why do you play with me like this?"

He yanked my hair harder, making me wince.

"I gave you my everything. I told you, that I cannot stand even another man looking at you," he said, venomously.

The anger and anguish in his eyes, awoke the part in me that had forgotten his monstrous side. My pulse rose with fear at his barely contained ire.

"Why did you do that, Rocky?," I asked, my mouth trembling. "He was an innocent man. Why do you kill first and ask later?," I sobbed, as an excruciating guilt stabbed me.

"Let go. You disgust me," I said, struggling to get out of his painful grasp.

"Ouch! Let go," I whimpered. He seemed to slightly see through his red haze and loosened his grip from my hair.

Grabbing me by arm roughly, "we are getting late. I need to get back to KGF," he said, gruffly.

"I'm not coming anywhere with you, you sick b*****d," I screamed, vainly trying to pull my hand away.

He turned around, the veins in his forehead popping with anger.

"You belong with me. Mine and only mine. Why can't you just understand that?", He said, shaking my shoulders.

"I'm not yours. I'll never be yours. For all your claims of love, you don't trust me one bit," I seethed.

"He was Kamal's friend. He was an honest man, who had zero link to our world. He was not like you and me. He was innocent, Rocky. He didn't deserve to die. How could you?," I sobbed harder.

I pushed his arms away.

"He was crying about Kamal. Another man you shot to death. I was consoling him, you f*****g a*****e," I shrieked.

He was stunned into silence, his anger slowly draining from his body.

"You know what? You always ask me to trust you. But have you ever trusted me? I thought I was in love with you. Twice. And both times you proved me wrong," I said, my voice catching at the end.

I turned away, not wanting to look at his face anymore.

"I don't want to look at your face anymore. God! I wish I never drank in the middle of the road. Ever since, you walked into my life, there's been nothing but pain," I said, softly, walking away.

**********
I closed the door to my room and collapsed on my bed, completely out of tears and energy. Vikrant's murder replayed itself in my brain, like a vicious cycle. I looked at Rocky in a new light. I had been around gangsters my whole life. Hell, I had been raised by one. But, Rocky was far more ruthless and vicious than all of them put together. But, he had always been kind to the innocent and the weak.

More painful than witnessing the murder of a grieving, powerless man, was his absolute lack of trust in me. I made my feelings pretty clear at dinner and in bed. How could he think so low of me? I recalled my mother's words - only the people you love can hurt you.

When it came to Rocky and me, it was always one step forward and two steps backward. One thing was certain - we were never going to work.

Thud! Thud! Thud!

A series of knocks interrupted my thoughts.

"Go away, Rocky!", I yelled.

Bang!

The door fell down. Broken from its hinges.

"What the hell, man?", I shrieked, scampering to the corner.

Rocky, stood there, hair dishevelled, shirt crumpled and eyes bloodshot. He reeked of liquor.

"Sona... I am sorry, Sonaaaa. I love youuuu....," He slurred.

"Get out," I said, firmly.

"Noooo... Please forgive me, Sonaaa. I am sorry. I hurt you," he said, swaying unsteadily.

"I don't want your stupid apologies. Go apologise to the man you murdered in cold blood," I said.

He quietened for a while.

"I shot an innocent man. I shot an innocent man for hugging you. I am sorry for doubting you. Only you have the power to make me a mad man, Reena Desai," he said, quietly.

He stumbled towards me.

"I can't bring back the dead. If I kill another man without a reason, you kill me with your hands.

"Please forgive me, Sona. I will make it up to you. Please don't leave me. I can't live without you," he said, his drunken eyes focussed on me.

I stared at him, lost for words.

"You're too drunk to be having this conversation," I replied coldly, "I know that you have absolutely no respect for my privacy. So, you can stay in this room as much as you want."

I strode away, abandoning him to his drunken stupor.

**********
Grabbing my car keys on the way out, I headed to my mother's grave, with two guards. I sat in front of her and willed for her to guide me. I don't know how long I sat there, feeling my guilt, anger, and sorrow, wishing that she were alive.

I returned home at the crack of dawn. I knew what I had to do. It was going to be unpleasant for both Rocky and me.

I found Rocky smoking and pacing in the hallway, cleaner than I had last seen him. But, the huge bags under his eyes aggrieved me.

"Sona, you're safe," he breathed, clouding the air with cigarette smoke.

"You need to leave. I'm not coming back with you. You can declare our contract null and void."

****************************
Hi guys! I was absolutely thrilled by your responses for the previous chapter! I know I got a green signal for the steamy scenes. It'll definitely come up in future updates, just not in this chapter ☹️. Keep supporting!

What do you think Rocky is going to do?

So, what do you think about this chapter?