Chapter 24

Two years later - 1981

"The hon' le prime minister Ramika Sen has fired the home minister -" the news went on.

I leaned back against my chair, as I looked at the lady who was most certainly a formidable foe. With Gurupandian having zero power in Delhi, how was KGF going to withstand her wrath? Rocky disappeared abroad, for the past two years, establishing himself in many countries, how was he going to defend his home ground? He needed to get his ass back here.

Khasim chacha and Vanaram were also watching the news with trepidation.

"What is Rocky planning to do, chacha?", I asked.

"No one can know what goes on in his head, beti," he sighed.

Tring! Tring!

Chacha hurried to answer the phone.

"Inshallah! He's coming back! My son's coming back!", Chacha yelled boisterously, returning to us.

My heart stopped, then began skipping with a wild abandon. Elation thrummed through my veins.

He was coming back. I was going to see him again.

**********

The kids of KGF, now in their preteens gathered in the foyer to welcome their king home, after two long years. Mallamma and a pregnant Leela stood with Fathima ma, prepared to do the aarthi. Everyone was hustling and bustling to joyously greet him. I lurked in the shadows, equal parts thrilled and nervous to see him.

"Reena bhabi is blushing to welcome her aashiq," yelled Taran, one of the boys.

"It was Reena didi till today morning. Now you're calling me bhabi?," I replied, playfully twisting his ears.

"Didi, they're telling the truth only. You are glowing today," said Mallamma, cheekily, while Fathima ma and Leela sniggered.

"You all can tease as much as you want," I said, sagely.

"We'll leave you for now. Soon she'll become like Leela, then we can keep teasing her," said Fathima ma, hiding her smile.

"Fathima ma," I said, shocked and blushing hard. Anu maintained her stoic expression, always alert. She never said more than a few words, but I had seen her giving her best, when it came to protecting me.

As the people of KGF, thronged to worship their lord, Rocky suavely arrived at the mansion. He was smiling mildly, but his eyes were searching for something. I closed my hands into tight fists and stood as far away from Fathima ma as possible, to avoid her shoving me to the front. He politely accepted the tilak, as his eyes landed on me.

He slowly walked towards me. The kids went nuts, as they hooted "Rocky Bhai, kiss Reena bhabhi." "Apply Sindoor on her forehead."

He stood before me, surveying with the eyes of a man beholding treasure. Heart in my throat, I managed to say, "welcome back."

"It feels like life is returning to my body. You know -"

"I am already deathed," I finished his sentence, smiling.

He laughed, throwing his head back. I watched him, feeling the exquisite happiness filling my soul.

I looked around to see that we had been left alone.

"Seems like the queen is well loved by the subjects," he said, also looking around.

"I don't know about the queen part, but they like me. I don't know why," I said, shaking my head.

"Who wouldn't?"

"Normal people."

"Good thing it's not a part of your or my world," he joked.

I felt a slight pang at the hint of separation of what I considered to be our world.

"I'm glad you're back, partner," I said, covering the hurt.

"I'm glad, too. You're business profits are amazing. I'm so lucky to have partnered with such a fierce kill-lady," he said, gesturing me to walk with him.

I smiled as his words provoked a memory. We went to the dining hall, as an extravagant dinner awaited us. I was seated by his right and Khasim chacha to the left. Vanaram, Anu, the kids who had waited to dine with their hero and Fathima ma were also at the table.

Rocky rolled up his sleeves and began feasting on the mutton biryani. He almost entirely, devoted his attention to everyone at the table. He didn't go out of his way, to drag me into the chatter, which I respected. Vanaram and Anu, who had become great friends, kept the conversation to themselves.

I spent most of the time covertly staring at the changed man that was Rocky. He now operated in sixteen countries and there was a tenor of ruthlessness, that I could see in him, even when he was chattering away. He seemed more powerful and formidable than ever.

**********
On my way upstairs, I saw Rocky drinking liquor and smoking at the bar. He was alone. I hesitated, but I went to him.

"Why isn't the queen asleep?," He asked, snuffing the cigar in the ashtray.

"Because she is not a child," I replied, leaning against a pillar.

"Is something bothering you, Sona?"

"No. On the contrary, something is bothering you. What is it?"

"Nothing has the guts to bother Rocky," he said, arrogantly.

I raised my eyebrows at him, sarcastically.

"Why come back after two years?"

"I don't need a reason to come home."

"Then, I am sad that Ramika Sen is the woman, that made you come back to your home."

I shut up, horrified at what I had blurted out. Rocky stared at me, his mouth hanging open. It quickly turned into a wolfish smirk.

He looked down at his drink and then, at me.

"The only woman who has the power to do that is the one saying those words," he said, softly.

I looked away, ashamed and guilty. I was the reason for his self-exile.

"Ramika Sen is too sharp," I warned.

He rolled his eyes.

"Right now, I control everything, Sona. Ramika Sen is just another politician," he shrugged.

"If you had everything under control, Gurupandian wouldn't be a deadweight traitor. You don't have power in Delhi, where it matters the most," I seethed.

"You worry too much, Sona. Like I said, everything is under my control," he said, calmly, leaving the bar and walking towards the stairs.

I so wished it was true.

***************************************