Chapter 11: Happier

KABANATA X

Third Person's POV

Hindi nakatulog ng maayos si Kai dahil sa sinabi ni Aline. Habang kumakain ng almusal si Kai at ang kaniyang ama ay ilang beses siyang sinisilip ng kaniyang ama.

'Nang bumuntong hininga si Kai ay nagbaba ng kubyertos ang kaniyang ama. "Are you going to keep on doing that?" Saka lamang natauhan si Kai 'nang marinig niya ang ama.

"Sorry, dad."

"What is bothering you so much that every time you pick up your food you keep on sighing?"

"Dad, what do you think about Jasmine moving out?"

"She's not moving out, she's finally leaving. She does not live here so one day she will have to leave and go back to her life."

"But look at her situation, dad."

"Ill or not, she has her own life and her own family. I know you're worried, Kai, but there's nothing we can do about it, lalo pa't her friend's family is like her own family. Of course we know her since you were children but things have changed so we can't force ourselves in."

"But Aline's words make me feel guilty. Gusto ko lang naman tulungan si Jasmine, give her shelter, food, and comfort, but because of my feelings for her, everything is weird."

His father chuckled. "I know you have a thing for her but to confirm it in front of me, with your own mouth, and in front of the dining. Wow, mana ka siguro sa mommy mo talaga."

"I can't deny what's true, dad."

He shrugged. "So what's the difference on what I've said to what you've said? It's still forcing. You know what, kid, there are things that we just can't do, and cross. I know we don't give malice to your intentions but her friends do, what more if her family interprets it just the same way her friends do? Is there something bothering you aside from Jasmine leaving this household?"

"I like her dad, but I don't think she likes me too."

"Well, that's a given. Do you expect her to find time to have romantic relationship during this hard time? Are you lovesick?"

"You know dad, the only times I feel closer to her just like old times is when she was staying here. I know she's not my possession but I am obsessing over her, but now I heard from someone that she ships me with somebody else. Her leaving this house feels like she's leaving me too."

"What's that idea? Ang sinasabi mo ba ay ang pag-alis niya dito ay parang ibinibigay ka niya na sa iba? You're telling me that her leaving here will result on you being distanced from her, giving you no chance to show her that you like her?"

Nanahimik lang si Kai.

"Listen, kid. That idea of yours is totally absurd. How can her act equates to you not being able to stay by her side? Look, it's not like you're cutting ties with her, so why the long face? If she sees you better with somebody else, show her that you look the best with her." Binatukan 'nito si Kai. "You're a handful kid, I see. Man up, Kai! Goodness gracious, how can you think like that? You see, kid, at the end of the day, she is the one who will make the choice, 'cause you've already made yours. Was the one who told you that crappy monologue; a girl? Someone who likes you?" Napailing ang kaniyang ama.

"Napagdaanan ko na rin 'yan, but you know what I've learned? Never believe a word about another person unless it came directly from that person's mouth. If that other girl said that to you, it's just her opinion and to Jasmine's part, an allegation. How can you believe it right away? Pinainom na sa 'yo lahat ng mommy mo lahat ng klase ng vitamins pero parang walang napunta rito." Itinuro 'nito ang sentido.