Chapter 12

TW!!!

Mentions of abuse

===

I found myself walking with the kids, Robin and Nancy walking by pair, Steve behind them, the four of us and then Eddie.

The murmured playing of Kate Bush keeps me a little calm. We were told to play a loop of our favorite songs to keep us away from Vecna's reach. Currently, Max is the only one with a Walkman--a working one at least.

Maybe it was her song that is keeping me here, maybe it was the placebo effect of having a busted Walkman on my waist.

Or...

Maybe it's the guy with long, curly hair walking far behind the group.

Maybe it's the image of us kissing for the first time since all this shit again that kept me grounded enough to stay here. Maybe it's the feeling of wanting to do it again, and then again...and again...Maybe it's the fear that I might never see him again and the feeling of not wanting that to happen that's keeping me safe.

Either way, I'm glad something is keeping me grounded here. Whatever else of my pitch-black past Vecna has in store for me, I do not look forward seeing.

We were quiet as we go on our hike. Just the crunching of leaves under our shoes and our tired panting were the sounds I can hear.

"Sorry about Patrick, Lucas," I mutter when I couldn't hold on staying quiet longer. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to erase Patrick's terrified face last night. "I heard he was in the basketball team with you."

He shook his head, "It didn't make sense. I mean...Patrick. I didn't know he has something going on. I mean he did come to training with a black eye one time, but he said he just ran in on a post."

I wanted to say that I used that excuse at one point in my life, but I didn't want to sound apathetic.

"It was because we weren't exactly close, and the boys never really treated me like one of them until the night of the championship game. It was easy to turn my head the other way..."

"Hey," I called, sensing a feeling of guilt from him as well, "There was no way you could have known Vecna was after him."

"I know...I just...I wish I could have checked on him more, you know?"

"And I'm sure that if you did, you would've helped him in every way you can."

Lucas and I exchanged smiles.

"But to you guys...there's no way I'm turning the other way on you."

"I speak for both of us when I say thank you," I told him, "And that we too won't turn the other way on you, Lucas."

I smiled at him appreciatively and saw that Max's rather usual blank expression softened, and gave Lucas a small smile.

I've noticed the two of them being a little avoidant to each other, but Steve gossiped one time that they were more than just friends at some point. But since Max's stepbrother's passing, Max grew a little distant from all of them. From Lucas especially.

To see her slowly--as I have presumed--reconnect with him, feels like a gust of fresh air.

I did mean it when I said I'd like to see her smile more. It suits her more than her constant frown, and occasional scowl at Dustin.

"We appreciate that, loser." Max added with the smallest of smile, but a smile nonetheless. And with that, Lucas' somber face brightened.

I let the two of them walk ahead of me, leaving with me with the other kid.