Chapter 14

"Maybe it's time to get a maid, Nancy." Robin joked when we entered this alternate house. An attempt to lighten the mood, Nancy's mood in particular. An attempt missed.

I have only went to the Wheeler's house twice--the first time before we went to Pennhurst and the second the day after, when both Max and I survived the curse. I have only been there twice, and have barely memorized the interior of their home, but this was certainly not it. This was a poor imitation.

The actual Wheeler residence was welcoming. It was the kind of house that can warmly welcome you whenever you visit, and that feeling never changes no matter how many times you come over. Part of it was the people--even when Mr. Wheeler seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face. Mrs. Wheeler loved having people around, especially Mike's friends.

Everything was identical to the one we stayed over in for the past days, even the furniture and the framed pictures that are nailed on their walls which I found specially creepy. Only, this Wheeler's house was covered with grime and vines--the sight of them made my skin crawl.

This knock-off was no Wheeler house. Not even close. Everything was the same but different. This one felt eerie--there was no warmth, no feeling of welcome. This was just a cheap copy of their house. Not a home.

It was most overwhelming for Nancy, who lived in that house her whole life. Now, she's stepping to a different version of her home.

She looked around bitterly.

"Come on," she said through clenched jaw, "I don't want to stay here longer than we have to."

We all aimed for the stairs to get to Nancy's bedroom, besides me. I had to slow down to clutch my head with one hand and hold myself steady on the banister with the other. The second earthquake and the unideal elements in this place contributing to my headache.

I wish I have a blunt to help--

I froze and blinked when realization hit me.

I was too caught up with everything going on since last night, I lost track of the rest.

When Patrick McKinney heard the chimes, I heard them too. Avoiding them and everything that followed after the chimes were only possible because my Walkman was still working then, providing me sufficient protection.

And after that shit show, perhaps Vecna didn't like having seconds on the same day that I was spared when I spent hours having no working Walkman. Then, I was able to keep myself safe because I was constantly next to Max whose own music blasted too loudly from her earphones it must have protected me too.

But now...

I scoffed. Here I was thinking I was going through an aftermath of combined sleep deprivation, dehydration, famish, and lack of smoke.

No. No, that wasn't the case. I was feeling like shit because I'm having symptoms of my death.

"Blue?"

I looked up at Steve who must have gone back to look for me. He descended the steps to meet me at the bottom.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"Steve, I don't..." I inhaled, trying to steady my ragged breathing, "I'm...I don't think I'm going to make it back to Hawkins."

Saying it out loud felt like a bat had wrapped its tail around my neck again. I managed to laugh shallowly, as if finding out I'm about to die is amusing.

It's when Steve held me by my arms did a sound between a shudder and a quiet sob fall out of my lips. My hand reached up to cover it, keeping the others from hearing me as I try not to go hysterical. I exhaled shakily and blinked rapidly, attempting to pull myself together.