Chapter 17

TW!

Mentions of trauma/abuse

====

I found myself in the middle of Hawkins High, not remembering the intention why I'm here.

But students were walking towards a general direction, and I figured that's the way to go. So, I followed them and realized later that we were headed towards their gym. There seemed to be a basketball match.

I could use some game. It's been a while since I watched a match and had the mind space to enjoy it. Usually, I will be more consumed by worry to get back home in time, because being late even for just a minute and not be able to cook for Julio is trouble for me. If he comes home and there's no dinner waiting for him to glut on, I'm getting my face rearranged and for fuck's sake it's a school night.

But Julio's out of the picture now. I know I'm free if I am in Hawkins. So I followed the students to the gym, and went for the middle bleachers for a safe and good view.

"Hi there." A voice greeted, "You're new here."

"How'd you know?"

"I know everyone. I'm kind of always in everybody's business. Part of the job."

"What job?"

"The school's paper," he replied.

He looked at me with his big eyes--no. He wore big eyeglasses and I can see how thick his lenses were that it magnified his eyes they almost looked animated. 

"I'm Fred. Fred Benson."

Suddenly, it was like my brain put up an image of a ghostly scene for me to see and remember. He is Fred Benson. The one I saw laying on the asphalt that morning we delivered food to our dear fugitive in the boathouse.

He was unrecognizable then, compared to the one I'm talking to right now. Scrawny, sure, but healthy. Alive. Bright eyes instead of sunken to the back of his head, flushed cheeks instead of a maimed face, skin pale but at least not a decaying grey.

"You're okay." I said. It came out like a sigh of relief, but I was unsure if he knows what I'm talking about.

He nodded, telling me he does, "Of course, I am," he smiled, "So are Chrissy and Patrick."

Patrick.

"They are?"

"Yeah, we are." a cheery voice replied beside me. I turned to to see a girl with bright, round eyes and strawberry blonde hair pulled to a high ponytail. She's such a pretty girl and not to mention, she rocked her cheerleading uniform most girls looked preppy in. It was as though she was meant to wear it.

"Hi there! I'm Chrissy Cunningham."

"Chrissy," I breathed with a smile, "You look...you look great."

That was an understatement. I've never seen her before, the alive her anyway. The only image I have of her in my head is the one in Vecna's lair, hanging within the tangled vines.

"Thank you!" she held her chest as though she was touched with a compliment. "She's so sweet, isn't she, Fred?"

"Hey, can you tell Munson I'm sorry for that night?" a boy, one I know somehow, sat beside Chrissy. It was Patrick McKinney. "I wish I had known."

"That's alright," I bit my tongue at my lame response. There were a lot I want to say to them, to Patrick most especially, but it seemed like they got lost in me somewhere.

"You guys manage alright." Chrissy smiled. "More than alright."

"Had that been other kids," Fred said, lowering his camera to look at me, "Well...safe to say they wouldn't have made it as far as you guys did. Not that I wish other kids have to face this...And also not to imply that you guys should be facing it."