ACT II: THE DEVIL HAS COME TO HAWKINS ~ chapter ten

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

[ chapter ten ]
"The doorbell rang. The doorbell never rings this early."

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

Max Mayfield woke with a start. She gasped as she sat up in her bed, panting. She'd been dreaming of him, back in that mall on that fateful night, watching him die. The nightmares had started up again earlier this week. They were all the same.

     It was early in the morning, there was still that bite of cold in the air, left over from the night. Max had a raging headache, she could feel the violent pounding against her temples as she rubbed them, making her way into the kitchen. The faucet was dripping as she reached to grab the Tylenol bottle from the cabinet over the sink. Max poured a couple of pills into her hand before tossing them back and turning on the sink. She took a big gulp of water and noted the time. Great, in about half an hour this should be gone, she thought. In the distance, police sirens were wailing. It was pretty common to hear them in this part of town, but they were getting closer and closer.

     Max went outside, watching as one, two, three police cars sped around the corner. They hastily parked in front of the Munsons' trailer. She remembered something from last night. She had gone outside to feed the dog next door when she saw Eddie come home with someone. He did this every so often, but this girl was different. Max recognized her from the cheer squad and she definitely did not hang out with the same crowd Eddie did. This girl—Chrissy Cunningham, if he remembered correctly—struck Max as a goody two shoes, someone who didn't get into trouble. But then she saw her walk into Eddie's trailer. "Looks like that Munson boy's up to no good again," her mother appeared behind her.

     Max went down the steps, hoping to get a better view of whatever was going on. She didn't have a good feeling about this.

     The door to the trailer was open and she peered around an officer to see. Her throat went dry as she saw her, the girl from last night, on the floor. Her arms were all twisted, the bones broken and stuck out in different directions, visible under her skin that was—

     "Hey!" Someone grabbed Max's shoulder. She jumped, turning around. "You can't be out here. Get back inside." An officer instructed her.

     Unable to comprehend what she had just seen, Max quickly glanced back at the crumpled girl. "Back inside," the officer ordered again.

     She ran back to her trailer, one dangerous explanation consumed her thoughts. It's back.

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

     "Then Vicki laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like...It was a real, genuine laugh." Robin finished restocking a shelf of VHS tapes.