chapter twelve

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

[  chapter twelve  ]
"That's for Chrissy, you crazy fuck!"

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

The sound of Lucas Sinclair retching into a toilet could be heard through the bathroom door of Benny's Burgers.

     "You alright in there, Sinclair?" Jason knocked before asking.

     "I'm good," said a weak voice from the other side, clearly not good.

     Jason chuckled. "First hangover feels like you're gonna split in two, but you'll live."

     The sound of the toilet flushing was all he could hear as he walked away, finding a box of cereal and pouring himself a bowl.

     People were passed out, on a cot or even a table, throughout the abandoned restaurant. Through the dead silence, only static and faint words from the television set could be heard. "...completely blocked off at..."

     "Come on," one of the guys groaned as he got up to adjust the antennas.

     "Just hit it, man," another guy said. "Yo, just hit it."

     "Yeah," he waved him off before banging on the side of the TV. "Piece of shit."

     It went back to normal, the sound of the static fizzled out. "There you go. See?"

     "...is newly appointed police chief Calvin Powell, who served as deputy under Chief Hopper." The reporter on TV spoke.

     Jason came to where the group of boys were sitting, eating his cereal. "What's this? I thought we were watching ThunderCats."

     "Hawkins student got murdered," Patrick said.

     Jason looked at him then. "What?"

     "Yeah, it's on every channel." Andy chimed in.

     "As you can see behind me, Chief Powell and the Hawkins police department are actively investigating the scene..."

     "They say who it is?" Jason asked.

     "No, not yet." Patrick rested his cheek on his fist.

     "Hey," Andy started to laugh. "Maybe Chrissy didn't stand you up after all."

     Jason felt his stomach drop. "Hey, don't say that," Patrick told him off.

      "Relax, it was a joke." Griffin chimed in defensively. But before Jason could give both boys an earful, sirens wailed in the distance.

     "A joke? Come on, someone just died and you're making a joke out of it?" Patrick scowled.

     Except Jason was barely listening because the sirens were getting closer and closer. He thought about what Andy had said. It wasn't like Chrissy to just not show up. When she didn't come to the party last night, Jason thought it had to do with the fight she'd had with her sister.

     As he and the guys were leaving the school parking lot the night before, Chrissy found him and said that she had something to take care of before going to the party. She'd clearly been crying, her eyes were red and puffy. Jason tried to ask her about it but she didn't want to talk. He just assumed she went off to make amends with her sister, he knew how stubborn and bitchy Liv could get.

     However, as he walked to the window of Benny's, watching as police car after police car pulled up, Jason had a feeling that wasn't the case.

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜