chapter eighteen

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆゜

[ chapter eighteen ]
"The rings he wore were cold and they were the cause of the goosebumps that'd spread, as if he were the artist and she the canvas."

゜✧*̣̩☽⋆

The screen door at the back of the house shut with the bang of metal hitting metal as Eddie came inside. He looked around the room, finding a tabby cat curled up on the sofa. She's still here, he thought. A weird bout of happiness surged through his veins, lighting up his eyes and lifting the corners of his mouth ever so slightly.

     A sliver of sunlight shone from in between the gap of the curtains, warming the spot of the couch Field took up as he bathed in it. Eddie quietly walked closer and closer to him, remembering the cat he once had a very long time ago. It was before he'd come to live with his uncle Wayne when he was barely old enough to run. But man, Eddie loved that cat. Her name had been Charlie and she was white with black spots. He didn't remember when his father had brought her home, she just showed up one day. All Eddie knew was that life before Charlie had been boring and lonely, so very lonely.

     His childhood hadn't been a walk in the park, then again, Eddie supposed no one's ever was. But when he had gotten that cat, it was as if none of it mattered.

     It didn't matter if his parents left him home alone for days on end, he had Charlie to keep him company. It didn't matter that he was never the son they wanted because he was the owner Charlie did want. And when a cat loves you, you know it's real because they hate almost everything and everyone.

     Then one morning, Eddie waited and waited but she never came home. Before he could find her, his parents had been busted for a robbery that'd gone sideways, and he was sent to live with his uncle.

     Even after all these years, he still wonders what ever happened to that little cat.

     "Hi kitty, kitty, kitty," Eddie said nervously, apprehensive of getting too close.

     He was right to do so because Field growled and hissed half-heartedly, but enough to make Eddie jump away, before rolling onto his back. "Demon cat."

     "Don't blame it on him. He's just a good judge of character," Liv hurried into the room, quickly bending down to search a wooden cabinet.

     Eddie smirked at her back. "If that's the truth then why didn't he run the hell away from you?"

     She sat back on her heels. "Because I'm awesome," she said tonelessly. Really, Liv felt the furthest thing from 'awesome'.

     In silence, Eddie watched with his arms crossed over his chest as she rummaged through the cabinet, pulling out papers and old VHS tapes. "Goddammit!" Liv cursed, bringing a playful smile to Eddie's lips.

     "What are you even looking for, Cunningham?"

     She turned to face him. "Alcohol. Drugs. Anything."

     "Hate to break it to you but good ol' Rick doesn't have any of that here." He watched her face scrunch up indignantly.

     "He's a fucking drug dealer for Christ's sake!"

     Eddie bit back a laugh. "I know, I know. But when he got sent to the slammer they raided his house, took everything in here." Liv stood up and straightened out. "What do you need that stuff for so badly anyways?" He asked.

     She looked at him with debating eyes. "I dislocated my shoulder and the pain meds they gave me at the hospital wore off. It hurts like a bitch," she yanked at the collar of her shirt, revealing a blossoming purple bruise.