◈ TWENTY-NINE- Maths Class Messages ◈

Dedicated to williamscottholmes for being so awesome :)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No act of kindness is ever wasted. This one was savoured and remembered. I was very grateful for Christianna and her presence. It made me feel safer compared to when I was alone and pushed around. Well, I still am, but if doesn't happen as much and even now some girls carry on taking about the 'Carrots and Peas Situation' (as I have officially named it). I'm not sure whether they know that they're getting irritatingly repetitive.

Christianna and I were in mathematics class a few weeks later and Miss Kirkham droned on while the other students pretended to pay attention. We were currently studying algebra, which I found most interesting, yet there are many aspects of it that I can't stand. I mean the class, not the subject. Miss Kirkham was incredibly boring. So, myself and Christianna write out notes (in code, of course) and then pass them to each other. It's rather entertaining because we just make fun of the other girls and teachers. Then, if someone picked the notes up, they wouldn't be able to understand it. Genius, I might add.

Christianna passed a folded sheet of paper over to me, but before I could open it, Miss Kirkham snatched it out of my grasp. She unfolded it, quickly skimmed the the letters written down and then looked down at me.

"Miss Turing! Passing notes, are we?"

I could feel the watchful eyes of the class stare at me from behind. This was probably some form of entertainment for them.

"No, miss," I lied quickly.

The teacher gazed over the jumble of letter then held up the sheet for everyone to see. "Only Miss Turing would pass notes written in gibberish."

The other students laughed as Miss Kirkham walked over to the bin by her desk and dropped the paper in. I wasn't particularly bothered by the laughter because I was in my own little world my best friend. And that something I'd never thought I would say. I glanced over to her and Christianna smiled with amusement.

The bell rung ten minutes later, signalling that the class was over. As everybody shuffled out of the classroom, Miss Kirkham said her final words: "Okay, you lot. Don't forget your algebra over the break. Have a pleasant holiday and we shall resume your irrationals when you return."

I don't think anybody heard her, though. They were too focused on getting out of the room as fast as they possible could. The Easter holidays would start in a couple of days time, which I was excited for; I had been invited to stay with Christianna and her family for a few days at the start of the two weeks. A very kind offer, indeed.

I stayed behind after class, making sure nobody saw me. The small, metal-wired bin had other sheets of paper in it, but I could see the difference between them and the note I was searching for. I picked it up and placed it carefully inside my blazer pocket before leaving the classroom for break.

When I left I made my way to the outside corridors, when it was fairly quiet. The sun was out, yet the temperature was rather low than I thought it would be.

I sat on one of the small set of steps that were scattered around in the corridors. Placing my bag by my side, I eagerly got the note and a pencil out. I rested the paper upon my knees as Christianna's hand-written, italic-like encrypted letters turned into words-

WII CSY MR XAS PRSK AIIOW HIEVIWX JVMIRH.

SEE YOU VERY SOON, DEAREST FRIEND.

I smiled as inconspicuously as possible, hoping that nobody saw and thought I was even more insane than I was depicted as. Girls rushed past and I appeared to be in their way. They didn't mind, though. They just pretended I wasn't there. Typical behaviour towards me, but I no longer was hurt or effected by it.

I knew that I wouldn't see Christianna for the rest of the week, so of course, the note was fitting for the occasion. I was going to miss our secret messaging during classes. It passed to time and was immensely entertaining.

I also couldn't quite express how I felt towards her. There was not a particular word or phrase I could think of, so I was left pondering on what to think and feel. She made me happy and that's all that counted.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Later that evening, I returned to my dormitory earlier than normal and nobody was there, which I was thankful for. I finished my English homework, then went on to read a book on medieval history and one on modern mathematics (I thank my parents for them- they were Christmas presents) all while having Christianna's note by my side. It was as if life and death depended on that piece of paper.

Although it was just jumbled letters, each one was written gracefully and with care; not rushed. It reflected Christianna's personality, unlike my handwriting, which a two year old has appeared to have scrawled instead. Mother had always told me off about this, but there was no hope. The only hope was that it would improve as I got older.

At around nine o'clock, I began totally exhausted and decided it would be best to retreat to bed and call it a day. It was dark outside; the sky was a navy-blue colour and it was like tiny, glittering stars were splattered on the canvas of the blue yonder. It wasn't cloudy, so those stars would be there all night. That was good.

I must have lay in awake up until eleven. I couldn't sleep as my mind was too busy thinking about a million and one things. That phrase is normally used for exaggeration, but not in this case. It seemed one thought or idea lead to another and it was a chain reaction; like dominoes.

"If only there was a simple solution to everything," I very quietly whispered to myself.

I then began to wonder about the future. What would it be like? Who would be in it with me?  It was interesting to think about.

I hoped for wonderful friends, who would accept me for who I am and not abuse me for everyday of my life. Friends who made me laugh, joyful and welcomed. And even friends who would stand up for me if a situation ever asked for it.

I wanted life to pass by quick enough just so I could see my envisions become a reality. But at the same time, I didn't. Because I had all I ever needed when I was with Christianna. That when the real question emerged:

What would life be like without her?