◈ SIX- Enigma ◈

"So, what made you accept my offer, Mr Hughes?" Denniston questioned as I followed closely behind him on our way through the hallway of the mansion. It was a beautiful building.

"Well, a few reasons, really," I began, feeling uncomfortable in the intimidating man's presence. He wasn't that scary, it was the sense of superiority that was overwhelming. "Mostly because of work. I haven't had a job in a few years, but I was just intrigued by the offer. There was something there, hidden away that I simply couldn't refuse."

"You're not wrong," he smiled ever-so-slightly. We came across a room that was sealed off by a dark-red, oak door that had a shiny, new name plaque on it- A. Denniston and underneath was written Commander of the British Royal Navy.

"Bletchley Park is now a top secret facility, evidently disguised by the title of 'radio factory,'" Denniston continued, opening the door and leading me into his office. His desk was covered in documents, neatly arranged. A ink bottle and fountain pen were sitting in the corner of the wooden table and where it was placed, tiny blotches of stained black ink could be seen. The light shone through the window and it was so bright that no electric or gas lamps needed to be used really. The view outside was nice too; there were small buildings of sorts, like huts, painted white, brown and even green. The park's lake could be seen too and it seemed to be a popular place to sit and relax. There were also many trees, swaying in the breeze, producing lush, emerald green leaves and some even had flowers sticking out of them. Again, there were many people rushing by, laughing and talking.

"Have a seat," the Commander gestured to the chair that was on the side of the desk as we walked in. I sat myself down, placing my suitcase of the floor by my feet and Denniston did the same as he cleared his throat.

"As I was saying, Bletchley Park is now home to code-breakers who are beginning a mammoth task and that's why I invited you here, Mr Hughes."

"What do you mean by 'code-breakers?'" I questioned. The words 'mammoth task' made me feel extremely nervous. If I was to be a part of what really goes on here, then I would have to assist in this particular task. I wasn't quite sure what to think about it.

"What I'm about to tell you is positively top secret," Denniston's voice went from being calm to stern. "You must not talk about this to anybody outside of the park's grounds. And if you do, then you could face terrible consequences, such as treason. Not a living soul must know what you really do. The fate of the country depends on it."

Great. Now I felt worse. Saying the wrong things could lead the downfall of the country and the death of others. I wasn't quite happy about this whole 'treason' malarkey, but I had to protect the secrets that were stored away here; nothing could get out.

"Do you understand what I have said so far?" Denniston asked. I simply nod, without saying a word.

"Good. Now, to truly answer your question, I will say that you yourself will become a code-breaker. This means that your hours will be long and your work will be hard. Encrypted messages will come flooding in and it's your job, Kester, to decrypt them."

I nod to again indicate that I understand what was being spoken of. "What kind of messages though?"

"There is a machine, built by the Germans, called Enigma," Denniston began. It's a good job that the room was inviting and that the chair I was sitting on was comfortable because the was going to take a while before I could leave. "It's highly complex and in order to win the war, it has to be decrypted. That's why you, like many others, have been employed. Enigma sends out messages everyday, starting from six a.m and then they stop sending at midnight precisely. The settings of the machine are changed every day and as a result, it's harder for us to keep up. This war has only just begun and it needs to end as soon as possible. I don't intend to lose as many soldiers and their lives as what was lost in the Great War. I can't bear the thought of it."