◈ EIGHTEEN- To Thaw a Frozen Heart ◈

It was the early days of December and I found myself staring outside through the window, mindlessly. The entire park (grass, paths, lake and all) was covered in a thick, crystal-white blanket of snow. The other workers strolled around in their coats, scarves, gloves and hats, laughing and some were even unprofessional enough to throw snowballs at one another. It was funny, if I must admit.

The team in Hut 8 had to put and extra layer on just to keep warm. I sat with my coat on over my jumper and a knitted, navy-blue scarf was hung over the back of my chair instead of around my neck. It was thick enough to make me seem that I had no neck if I so happened to be wearing it, which, of course, made me look utterly ridiculous.

Allany only had a cardigan on over her shirt. She mustn't be affected by the cold. A cup of coffee sat on her desk, barely warm, and she held a pen in her hand, but was not writing; not even appearing to be thinking, either.

John was writing, though, and wearing his normal black coat, except for a cardigan underneath, which he hated, judging by the scowl on his face and that fact that he would scratch his shoulder every so often. I'm also starting to think that a scolding sort-of gaze is his permanent and natural expression; that man has no light in him at all.

Carlton was huddled in a blanket, his eyes half-closed like he was falling asleep. And Hugh was leaning back in his chair, not doing anything at all. His weary eyes would look briefly outside and then back to the chalkboard on the other side of the Hut. I couldn't tell whether he was annoyed, frustrated, disappointed or not bothered about the lack of effort he or anybody else had achieved so far today.

"How about we all go outside?" John suggested, gazing out of the window, probably checking to see if the conditions were suitable.

"Have you seriously just asked that?" Hugh furrowed his eyebrows, placing his burnt-out cigarette in the glass dish on the table, which now rested on a small pile of ashes. "You want us to go outside where it's colder than it is inside?"

"Why not?" He shrugged. "It's better than working."

"He has a point," Carlton agreed, his eyes opening fully and snivelling. He might be developing a cold. "Besides, everyone out there seem to be enjoying themselves."

"Men don't complain when it's cold, Hugh," Allany said. "So, why are you?"

"That," he sat back, slouching even further in his chair, with an amused smile and then folding his arms. "Sounds like an insult."

"Hmm," pausing for a minute, Allany looked thoughtful. "Now that I think about it, that would be a possibility."

"I'm rather shocked that I'm still sane after spending so long with you, Allany."

"Likewise."

"As much as I enjoy you two having a battle of wits, what do say to my proposal?" John questioned, gazing at everyone expectantly.

"I say we go out," I add. "Anyone else?"

"Why not?" Exclaimed Anthony, his facial expression glowing with excitement.

"Let us depart then," I say, standing up.

We all grabbed our coats and filed out of the Hut. It was shockingly cold. The breeze was icy and I would beg for it to drop and warm up. The pure-white snow crunched beneath our feet as we subconsciously followed John to the lake where a lot of people were skating and some were even just walking upon its surface.

The six of us stopped as soon as we reached the precise edge of the frozen water, where dead twigs and small flowers lay to rest.

Carlton, feeling brave, decided to step on the ice. He wobbled for a moment, but managed to regain balance.