Chapter 1

Father Daniel Sheppard was very respected by the parishioners of his church. The younger priests always were. It was fresh blood, a fresh perspective. The people saw in him somebody they could relate to—somebody from whom they could receive spiritual guidance. The problem for Daniel Sheppard, however, was within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church infrastructure itself.

Daniel only recently became a pastor. He entered the seminary 12 years ago, and his time there was a constant battle between his spiritual calling and his rebellious attitude. Time after time he questioned whether or not he belonged in such a structured and old-fashioned religion. He questioned everything, but the strength of his spiritual calling was stronger than his insurgency.

Daniel was tiresome, even as a child, trouble finding him no matter where he went. He was blessed with a sharp mind and a strong family unit, but he wound up perpetually in trouble. When he announced to his family and friends his desire to enter the priesthood, it was not met with congratulations and encouragement, it was met with shock. The Sheppard family was not a religious family—and Daniel the least so. The running joke became placing odds over when he would quit.

Years later, Daniel was ordained, but it wasn't without a fair amount of hurdles. Not a year went by without a serious reprimand. When his Understanding Divinity professor asked, "Why does God let bad things happen to good people?" a debate raged, eventually leading to textbook answers which weren't good enough for Daniel.

If God was all-knowing and pure good, how could he stand by and do nothing? Why was there such suffering in the world? He believed in God, but the answers to those questions left him unsatisfied. He was training to become a leader in the largest Christian organization in the world; why couldn't they have a better answer for this fundamental question?

So true to form, and to everyone's dismay, Daniel told the professor what he thought—even insisting the answer be stricken in favor of a better one. The professor welcomed debate, but had very little tolerance for Daniel and his lack of discipline.

There were many times in which Daniel was nearly kicked out of the seminary. Ironically, what saved him was the same thing that gave the establishment fits: his passion. His superiors admired his spirit and saw something special in him. It was clear if they let him go, he would maintain his religious zeal and probably hook on as a minister in another faith.

The hierarchy was torn over Daniel Sheppard. He had his supporters and detractors, and for better or for worse, in eight short years he was ordained a priest.

St. Joseph's parish in Perry Hall, Maryland, was similarly torn when Father Daniel was named pastor. Young priests like Daniel were passionate and ready to prove themselves to the world. But his lack of regard for rules and discipline didn't always sit well with everyone.

Daniel was one of the few priests who prayed while listening to music. He found it an enormous help in concentrating. Or, rather, in helping him to not concentrate on anything. He felt with his mind free of distraction, he could focus best on those intentions he truly held dear. He was told it was proper to kneel at his bed, but he found it almost too comfortable. He tried sitting on the couch with the television off, but he was still too easily distracted. Music drowned out all of life's distractions for Daniel. It occupied his mind like a dog's toy while his spirit remained free to contemplate and meditate.

He sat in his room, in a gliding chair, eyes closed, with the buzz of heavy dance music coming from his headphones. In his hand, he held a piece of paper, folded in half. Periodically one or both of his eyes would open and he would glance at it momentarily, and then go back to his meditative state.