Chapter 40

Cavanaugh felt Dharma stir. She was in the seat between him and Jason, and she began to moan softly and move her shoulders and arms. They were already in the air, and the flight attendants were coming around, offering snacks and beverages.

He put his arm around her shoulders and whispered, "Hey," shaking her softly until her eyes opened.

"Do you know where you are?" he asked.

She didn't answer, but she opened her eyes and looked at him, then blinked softly and checked her surroundings.

"You're on a plane," he explained. "We're headed to Chicago. Do you understand?"

She sat up straighter in her chair and licked her dry lips.

"I know you're thirsty," Cavanaugh said. He noticed Heller was watching cautiously, as if hoping that a nasty scene didn't suddenly erupt. "Before I give you some water, I want to make sure you are going to be smart and not cause a scene. As long as you behave yourself and don't cause us any trouble, I will make sure you're taken care of."

"I won't cry out. I'm here because I chose to be here."

Cavanaugh chuckled at that, "You're here because your friend's lives were in danger."

She felt the bump on her head. "I won't fool myself into thinking that my actions in any way control you," she said. "Whether or not you choose to harm my friends is your choice, not mine."

He raised an eyebrow—this girl was bright. This might be more entertaining than he thought.

"So your point is that I can't control you by threats?" he asked.

"As I said, I am here because I choose to be. You have no power over me except what was given to you by Elohim."

Heller looked at Cavanaugh, "Elohim?"

He glanced at Heller, "She means God. It's one of the Hebrew names for God."

"I'm Jason," Heller introduced himself to her, extending his hand.

Dharma looked him up and down and gently shook his hand, "I am Dharma."

"No," Cavanaugh said, looking at her sternly. "You are Brittany."

She looked at him curiously.

Cavanaugh's expression softened a bit. His biggest concern was that she would cause a scene, and it seemed as if she had no interest in doing anything that stupid. "It appears that strong-arming you isn't necessary. For the purposes of keeping things pleasant and blending in, we may call you Brittany."

"You can call me whatever you wish," she shrugged.

Cavanaugh gave her a bottle of water, "This is from the flight attendant. We can get more if you are still thirsty."

"Thank you," she said, immediately taking a drink.

"Have you ever been on a plane before?" Heller asked.

"Yes," she said. "But I was very young. I don't remember much about it. My father was bringing me here from Israel, where I was born."

"Breuer?" Cavanaugh asked, as if he already knew the story.

"Yes, Aaron Breuer is my father."

"Well, technically he is your stepfather, or foster father, or whatever," Cavanaugh corrected.

"Yes."

"I've researched your history," he explained. "I couldn't find anything about your real parents. Do you know who your real father is?"