Chapter 18

The next day, Daniel was released from the hospital. Other than the cuts and abrasions, and his right arm being in a cast, he was fine.

He gave his story to the police, telling the exact truth of the matter, aside from revealing the Plato data. As they questioned him, he considered sharing what Eric had told him about Crescent Enterprises, but he decided against it. Instead, he gave them Cavanaugh's name as a possible suspect, making no bones about the fact the man didn't like him and had some sort of vested interest in getting him kicked out of the church. The police perked up at that, but Daniel admitted he had no direct evidence.

They let him go, taking down Banacek's mobile number in case they needed to reach Daniel.

Eric assured him that Jessie would be looked after, which made Daniel feel better, but he would have preferred to look after her himself.

A woman named Bridget had come to the hospital from Osiris. She had blonde curly hair, a kind face and a friendly demeanor. Bridget brought Banacek some supplies in a backpack and had several shopping bags of clothes for Daniel. She exchanged pleasantries with Banacek and then shared instructions handed down from Caleb Drake. Daniel thanked her for the clothes and threw on a simple black T-shirt and jeans, groaning to himself whenever his injuries reminded him they were there.

He spent the rest of his time visiting Jessie and praying over her. She was still in bad shape, hooked to many machines and barely recognizable. However, the doctors were encouraged by the fact she stabilized, and for the first time, they expressed a hint of optimism that she may come out of her coma.

Daniel also noticed there was a bodyguard in her room, who Banacek introduced as BJ Turner, another Osiris-supplied protector.

"We really should get you back to Osiris," Banacek reminded him.

Daniel nodded. He had been convinced of that for a while now.

"Caleb is expecting us," Bridget added.

"Caleb?"

"Yes, Caleb Drake."

"Oh, right," Daniel said. He looked at his sister, lying there in front of him. His thoughts drifted. Despite the fact that her eyes were closed, she didn't look at all at peace.

"We should really be going," Bridget said impatiently, digging through her purse for something.

The door opened suddenly. Before Daniel knew what happened, Banacek shoved Daniel behind him and stood between him and the door. Bridget yelped as Daniel crashed into her, spilling several items from her purse.

Daniel was annoyed until he saw who opened the door.

It was Cavanaugh.

Banacek had his hand on his weapon, and with his other hand, he tethered Daniel to make sure he stayed behind him.

Cavanaugh looked genuinely shocked. He held his hands up submissively.

The other bodyguard, Turner, approached Cavanaugh.

"Whoa," Cavanaugh said, trying to calm the situation. "There's no need for violence."

Turner frisked Cavanaugh.

"I'll judge when we have a need for violence," Banacek said dangerously.

Cavanaugh allowed himself to be searched and didn't show any signs of embarrassment.

"He's clean," Turner reported.

"Of course I'm clean," Cavanaugh said. "Just coming for a visit. I've been here since yesterday. You know how hard it is to get permission to see you, Father Sheppard? All of the police asking questions. It's getting so that I can't even visit my old friend."