Chapter 31

Petra sat alone on a bench in the Israfil gardens. She normally didn't visit this wing of the facility, but she felt the need to be outside. The morning sun was shining brightly, and she welcomed the warmth on her skin. Somehow, they managed to arrange tropical flowers alongside common northeast flowers. The bright red, pink and yellow tropical flowers seemed to grow wild, almost invasive. The purple ironweed and rough-stemmed goldenrod framed the tropical plants, almost in a protective shell.

Petra looked at the goldenrod and considered that physicians once believed it had healing powers. She smiled at the thought, and wondered what physicians believed now that would be laughed at in a hundred years.

She didn't turn around at the sound of the approaching footsteps. She expected her time alone wouldn't last long, but any time, even a few minutes, was sorely needed.

The path of stone slabs wound through the garden like a giant snake, but there was so much vegetation that she could not possibly be seen randomly. Someone was searching for her.

"Petra?" a voice called.

She continued to sit as she was, legs crossed, but she turned her head to look.

It was John Lassiter, and with him was a man in a white shirt and tan sports blazer. He had short hair, blue eyes and a goatee. His sunglasses were propped up on his head.

"Oh, good!" he said. He looked at the man with him and then back at Petra. "I'm glad I found you. I was looking and—you weren't—I mean, nobody is in Afriel!"

She stood up politely and said, "Slow down, John."

"I can't find Caleb anywhere!" he said in frustration. "We need to prepare for the CCE. I was supposed to meet with him, and then—well, we have a guest. This is Daniel's brother. He came to see Daniel, but I can't find Daniel either!"

At the mention of Daniel's name, Petra felt a wave of anxiety. She remembered yesterday's scene all too well, and still dealt with guilt over what transpired. She sighed in frustration at herself, hoping she would have been over that by now.

She looked back at the man John introduced as Daniel's brother and noticed the resemblance. He had handsome features, but his eyes were not as warm as Daniel's. He appeared detached, and his aura felt professional and cold, as if he were a police officer. The contrast was interesting to her; she hadn't realized she regarded Daniel's presence as warm.

"Hello," he cleared his throat, introducing himself. "I'm Eric Sheppard."

Petra felt herself flush with embarrassment as she realized she was staring at him in thought.

"I'm sorry," she said. "My name is Petra Delaere." She awkwardly shook his hand.

"Can you take him to see Daniel?" Lassiter asked desperately. "I really need to find Caleb!" He wiped his hands on his shirt and bounced impatiently back and forth.

Petra looked at John Lassiter, squinting at him in annoyance. "I'll find Caleb," she suggested. "Why don't you take Mr. Sheppard to Metatron--that's where Daniel is."

Lassiter shook his head back and forth, "It's not going to—I mean he can't—I have to find Caleb!" he actually whined.

Petra sighed. Metatron was all the way on the other side of the building, and she really didn't want to see Daniel right now.

"Very well, I will take...Eric...to see his brother."

"Thanks!" John said. He skipped backward and then turned around and darted out of the Israfil gardens.