Chapter 55

"I have to admit," Cavanaugh waved his handgun around idly. "I had not expected to see you here, Dan. You're just full of surprises, aren't you?"

"I suppose so," Daniel responded.

Cavanaugh had moved them away from the main area of the park and into a picnic pavilion, away from public view.

Raines had tied Daniel's hands behind his back and did the same to Heller.

They left Dharma alone, but kept her close, figuring that she posed very little threat.

"How did you find us?" Cavanaugh asked curiously.

"I have a magic compass," Daniel said. "Everyone at Osiris has one."

Cavanaugh shook his head at his impertinence.

Raines approached Daniel. He wore fatigue colored pants, and his white T-shirt had the sleeves ripped off.

He came close to Daniel, and said, "I still owe you for taking my gun away."

Before Daniel could respond, Raines reared back and punched him in the stomach.

Daniel grunted in pain and doubled over. He had tried to tense his muscles to absorb the blow, but it did little good. He lay coughing on the ground.

"Easy Raines," Cavanaugh warned. "Didn't you know that it's bad luck to strike a priest?" And then he looked at Daniel, "Oh, I forgot, you're not really a priest anymore are you Dan? You gave that up to follow your pathetic group of friends and their facile belief system."

Daniel didn't respond—he was trying to catch his breath in painful gasps.

"But it's really you I'd like an explanation from," Cavanaugh said, looking at Heller. "I had told the girl I would make her death quick and painless. We had something of a deal. Sheppard, I can understand, he has made it his life's mission to get in my way and cause me trouble. But you," Cavanaugh came toward Heller dangerously, brandishing his gun. "I do not forgive cowards, nor do I forgive traitors. So before I kill you, I need an explanation. You were on a specific assignment, you were my partner. What possible excuse do you have for stabbing me in the back?"

Heller looked at Cavanaugh. His face was pale with fear. He said, "Tom, please."

"Please?" Cavanaugh interrupted. He didn't seem interested in any answer. "You nearly got away..."

"Tom," Heller said desperately. "You have to listen to me. The girl—"

Cavanaugh suddenly swung downward, striking him hard in the nose with the handle of his gun.

Heller cried out and fell to the ground. He thrashed, trying to break free of his ropes, unable to put his hands to his broken, bleeding nose.

"Have to listen?" Cavanaugh spat at him. "You were my brother." He moved to Heller's writhing body and took knee, getting close to him. "You were my brother!" he repeated.

Heller tried to speak, but he choked on the blood draining down his throat. He coughed helplessly.

Daniel tried lunging in Heller's direction, but Raines grabbed onto his shirt with both hands and forcefully shoved him to the ground. Unable to brace himself with his bound hands, he hit the ground face first.

"Bad idea," Raines said to Daniel. "Stay down, right where you are."

Daniel lay there painfully, unable to move.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" Cavanaugh demanded, pointing the barrel of his gun at Heller's temple.

Heller coughed again and then said, "Tom, the girl is right. She's right. About everything."