Trigger Memories

Bill bit the top of the eraser. He was writing another song for Mabel. "It's been one month, one month since I met the love of my life." Bill sang. He wrote it down, hoping he would have something good to sing. "It's been one month, one month since I've had the desire to cause strife. It's been one week, one week since you've forgotten all about me. It's one week, one week that I've been so lonely." Bill sang, his eyes filling up with tears. He quickly wiped them away. "It's been one day, one day since I've thought about your smile. It's been one day, one day since I decided to try to get you back was futile." Bill sang. "It's been one hour, one hour, since I've thought about your eyes. It's been one hour, one hour, since I've had the chance to cry." Bill sang. "It's been one minute, one minute since I've thought about your face. It's been one minute, one minute I've thought we were a lost case." "It's been forever, been forever while I've been missing you. It's been forever, been forever, and I don't know what to do." Bill sang with sadness.

Bill blinked. One month! He could go into Mabel's mind now. A smile spread across his face. It quickly disappeared upon this happy little realization: If I complete my deal, Bill thought, then I'll have to leave, never again seeing Shooting Star. Bill thought sadly. He took a deep breath. It was for the best anyways. It would only cause him pain knowing she wouldn't ever remember him again. Then a thought struck him. Could he alter her mind and help her regain those memories? Bill started thinking about it, and began to realize that it just might work! He was hyperventilating with excitement. As a demon, he had never been a huge fan of happily ever afters, but to tell the truth, he was closer to a human than a demon now. Sure, he still had his powers, but now hurting people wasn't something that made him grin like the lunatic he used to be. There wasn't happiness where he was from, so of course he had never caused a smile. But once he had made someone smile, he loved the feeling. It also didn't hurt that it was Mabel who he had made smile.

He snapped his fingers, and suddenly he was in Mabel's mind. Xyler and Craz were wearing hard hats and standing next to the pink door with a heart on it. Romantic memories. Bill remembered. "All right, bring in the wrecking ball!" Xyler shouted, motioning toward himself with his hands. Then he noticed the sign near the door: ROMANTIC MEMORIES; PARTS SCHEDULED FOR DEMOLITION. He blinked. What on Earth was going on? "What are you doing here?" Craz asked. "I...uh, had an....arrangement with Shooting Star." Bill explained awkwardly. "Cool! We love arrangements!" Xyler said. "So, uh, what are you doing?" Bill asked 'nonchalantly'. "Oh, well, some of Mabel's memories have been blocked off, and since it's clear she isn't getting them back, we're destroying them!" Craz exclaimed excitedly. "How does she regain them?" Bill asked eagerly. "Key memories. Memories that trigger other memories!" Xyler explained. Bill's smile was huge. Now all he had to do was recreate her memories. "How long do I have for them to be saved?" Bill asked worriedly. "About a week or so." They said in unison, followed by a high-five. "A WEEK? THAT WON'T BE ENOUGH TIME!" Bill exclaimed angrily, his suit turning red. He then took a deep breath.

"That's fine though." Bill stated. Yellow slowly became the color of his suit once more. "Now, I'm going to have a look around." Bill said. Several hours later, after he had looked through all of the doors, there was only one left; romantic memories. He was in a lot of them, and that elated him. Now he just needed to figure out which ones were trigger memories. He stared at all of the doors. He had a lot of work to do. But he made a promise to himself: he and his Shooting Star would have a happily ever after.