Day Eight Part Three

Word count →_→ 1366 words

☣️☣️☣️

Everything felt cold. It all felt like a simulation. He could feel himself drowning in the ocean of darkness that was bubbling inside him.

This is all a dream. I'm going to wake up any second now.

He had his eyes squeezed shut as he tried to wake himself from the nightmare but he could still feel everything around him. The blood on his hands. The whispers in his head grew louder the more he tried to shut them out.

If it's a dream then why don't you go ahead and wake up.

Stop, he willed the negative thoughts in his head.

He pressed the palm of his hands against his ears, forgetting the blood, as he tried to shut out the voices.

He felt a cold pair of hands grab him by the shoulder but he didn't open his eyes to look. He was too afraid.

You killed that man, Alex, and you know it.

Stop...

You know you did it. You tore him up like the savage beast you are.

Please stop ...

And you know you liked it.

"Stop!" Hey cried out as he lashed out at the figure in a desperate attempt to get it away from him.

"Whoa, easy there, tiger. It's only me." He heard a familiar voice. Misty.

Blinking, he tried to make sense of where he was. His thoughts were a little fuzzy, his head was spinning and he couldn't remembered how he had ended up on his bed. When had he fallen asleep?

All he could remember was the strange dream he had. He had been hungry, which was strange. Why would he dream of being hungry?

However, the thing that scared him the most was that he had been so certain he had woken up outside next to a dead man with blood on his hands.

"It's just a bad dream." Came Misty's cheery voice once more.

She made her way to the window and began to open the blinds.

When the first rays of sunlight made contact with his skin, Alex felt an intense burning sensation that left him feeling as if his blood was on fire.

Screaming out in pain, he instinctively found himself seeking the safety of the shadows which were almost non-existent as the light began to flood the room.

Startled, Misty turned to face him. She immediately closer the blinds up once more. In her brilliant mind she thought he was being sensitive to the light because he had a migraine. Blocking the light for her patient until so called migraine passed was only natural.

"Omigosh! Do you have a headache? Let me go and get some painkillers for you. Once the pain goes away so will the sensitivity to light." She said as she turned and walked out before he could respond.

Except, how would he respond? How was he supposed to tell her that he wasn't sensitive to the light because of some headache? How would he explain to her that by some unnatural and unexplainable reason he had felt the sun burn him like a hot fire would burn a piece of paper?

Looking at his hands, be could see the harsh sunburn marks as they began to fade and disappear right before his eyes.

☣️☣️☣️

Daniel looked at his brother, the words that had just been relayed to him slowly sinking in.

"So they know?" He asked, his voice low as his shoulders sagged in resignation. "I suppose Miss Larsson has already reported to the Board."

"Not really. I hacked her computer and redirected all emails to a different server, one I have direct access to. I'll monitor both hers and Eli's emails and phone calls. You focus on finding a way to deal with that viral strain in your drug." Rowen encouraged.

"What if they find out about that?" Daniel asked his brother. "We may need to keep them from leaking their evidence."

"If it comes to that we'll handle it. In the meantime, brother, just keep cracking that brain of yours and find a way to solve this whole mess." Rowen encouraged as he turned to leave. "And I'll keep a close eye on those two. Oh, and there's something else you should know, your assistant has been spending some time with Miss Larsson. I'll have to keep an eye on her as well."

"I see. I suppose I am fast running out of allies." Daniel said thoughtfully as he watched his brother leave.

Alone in his solitude, he began to contemplate all the decisions he had made until that moment. All he had wanted was to save lives. That wasn't selfish at all. Sometimes saving lives required sacrifices to be made. Yes, he had made some very questionable decisions to accomplish his goal but he saw it as a means to an end.

He would fix it, he was certain of that. Like he had promised, he would get the UN to petition a pardon for Alex's father when the drug had been sanctioned safe and ready to be distributed. No one would argue with that. If the trials were successful the kid would practically be a hero.

He just had to make sure everything went well so he could made good of all his promises and he would be damned before he let anyone get in his way.

☣️☣️☣️

Emilia looked at the contents of her screen for the last time before she decided to send the email.

Emilia's chat with Doctor Bossing had been very 'educational' if anything. They had shared each other's findings and in the end, she had been convinced that she needed to raise an alarm with the Board.

Eli hadn't argued with that. In fact, he had encouraged it. He believed if the higher ups were aware of the situation then his partner, the cunning Doctor Rudolph wouldn't be able to tweak their findings for his own benefit. Emilia didn't know what would happen from this point onward. She could only imagine how the Board would react to her report. They might cancel the whole program although she didn't know if it would be enough.

Taking a deep breath, she decided that she was ready to go about her work. Thinking about work made her heart ache when she suddenly remembered she hadn't been able to visit Alex the previous day. Today she would check on him first thing.

Exiting her room, she made her way towards the lab. For some reason she felt a thick tension in the air. It was hard to explain but she couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding.

She did notice that some of the people she met seemed to be a little on edge. At least more than usual.

She got her usual apple from the cafeteria and a few breakfast bars out of habit.

When she found her newfound friend, Misty, she immediately made her way to her.

"Hey, Misty." She said cheerfully.

"Emilia, good morning. I see you're ready to start." Misty acknowledged.

"Yeah, you could say so. Although, I wanted to let you know I had an unexpected visitor last night." Emilia said as she lowered her voice. "Doctor Bossing came to see me. He had quite some interesting things to say."

"You don't say." Misty said thoughtfully as she took a seat on one of the chairs that were close to her.

She was suddenly feeling incredibly fatigued. The room suddenly felt ten degrees hotter and she found herself feeling short of breath.

"Yeah, it was... Hey are you okay? You look awfully pale?" Emilia asked in concern.

"Don't worry about me, I guess I've been overworking myself." Misty said with a short laugh.

Emilia wasn't convinced as she began to examine her. It was then she noticed that the woman had been scratched on her right arm. Of course she thought lightly of it, it was just a scratch. It was probably from her other extra curricular activities that were none of her business.

"You should just get someone to check you out. Make sure you haven't caught any sort of bug." Emilia encouraged.

"Sure, I'll do that." Misty said with a genuine smile.

☣️☣️☣️