Chapter 6

Steve awoke to the light pattering of rain on his car roof, groaning in response to the aching in his head. He forced open his heavy eyelids to see Eddie shirtless, below him. Their hands were clasped together, and Eddie was softly breathing, still asleep. They were in the backseat of Steve's car with the seats collapsed, still in the abandoned parking lot from the previous night.

Steve promptly let go of Eddie's hands, leaving his right hand to hang off of the seat and his left hand resting on his body. He didn't know why they were holding hands like that, but thought nothing of it. Steve tapped Eddie awake, who groggily sat up. Eddie looked around as if he didn't know where he was, but slowly changed his facial expression into a smile as he made eye contact with Steve.

"How'd you sleep?" Eddie said, stretching out his arms in front of him.

"What do you mean 'how did I sleep'? Why are we sleeping in the back of my car, and why are you shirtless?" Steve said, with a harsh tone of voice.

Eddie blankly stared back at Steve. "You...don't remember?"

"Remember what?" Steve sighed, feeling tense.

He watched as Eddie pursed his lips, flexing his hand.

"It's just that..." Eddie scratched his neck, looking off to the side. "Last night it started raining pretty badly so you decided to pull over here to wait it out, but it never cleared so we ended up spending the night. You were super drunk, so that was probably a good idea anyways."

"Okay, well why are you shirtless? It's the middle of November."

Eddie leaned back on his elbows, staring at Steve.

"You are too."

Steve looked down and groaned at the sight of his bare torso. "Whatever, I guess I'm still pretty hungover. I'm surprised you're not all messed up from drinking as well."

Eddie paused for a moment before responding. "It's probably because I drink pretty often."

Steve pulled his sweater over his head, climbing into the front seat. Eddie threw his shirt to the front and got out of the car, hastily making his way to the passenger seat.

"Don't get my car wet," Steve remarked, looking up at the overcast sky. It appeared as if the rain was going to continue for a while. Steve couldn't help but look back at Eddie, noticing the water droplets scattered around his torso as he put his shirt on.

"Alright, are you ready to go home?" Steve fumbled with the keys, turning the car on.

"Ready whenever you are," Eddie responded, glancing at the side mirror of the car.

He pulled out of the parking lot, switching his windshield wipers on.

"God, we haven't had this much rain in forever," Steve said, with both of his hands on the wheel.

Eddie just stayed silent.

Steve could feel Eddie's gaze in his peripheral vision, making him keep his eyes focused on the road to avoid eye contact. He continued driving down the wet streets of Hawkins, which were devoid of anything other than orange and brown leaves scattered around the curbs.

•••

Eddie thanked Steve for the ride home, quickly stomping up the staircase to his apartment. He dropped his things, flopping onto his bed. He was devastated. He didn't know what to do; he had made out with Steve Harrington, who was drunk, then lied about it when Steve couldn't remember. And worst of all, Steve was the one who pulled him in, but Eddie let it happen, fully knowing that Steve was drunk and probably not aware of what he was doing. He had to call Robin, he couldn't deal with this on his own. Eddie's heart felt heavy as he stood up, dialing Robin's number.