Chapter 1

"I just can't seem to find a stable job, and I'm this close to getting kicked out of my apartment if I make another late rent payment" Eddie said to Robin as he paced back and forth in front of the video store counter.

Robin leaned against the counter, looking up at Eddie. "Well where have you applied?" questioned Robin.

"I've applied to the grocery store, fast food places, clothing stores, everywhere!" he exclaimed, waving his arms around and slouching on the counter in defeat. Robin ran her hands through her hair, trying to think.

"Well, you might not have heard back from anyone because not that many places need more workers."

"Yeah, but somewhere has to be hiring. Can't you think of anywhere that needs workers?" Eddie whined, adjusting his jacket.

"We could use more employees." Steve interjected as he looked up from his computer which he was typing at.

"I mean, we need 2 people per shift, but there's only 3 of us here so one of us ends up working double shifts. But if you joined, we wouldn't have to do that anymore."

Steve shoved his hand in his pocket and carefully looked at Eddie.

Eddie and Robin both looked over at him as Robin exclaimed "That's a great idea!"

She eagerly ran to the back to grab an application and handed it to Eddie with a pen.

"I don't know, that means that I would have to see you much more than I could bear" Eddie sarcastically remarked.

"Oh shut up." Robin replied as she pushed it further to him. "The only problem is, I live across town from here and I don't have a car" Eddie said, looking over at Steve.

"You live on Edison Drive and 10th, right?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, how did you know?" Eddie replied, with a puzzled look on his face.

"Just saw you around that area a few times. But anyways, I could drive you, as long as you paid for gas." Steve said jokingly.

"Really? That would be awesome!" Eddie responded, with a wide smile appearing on his face.

"Yeah, it's totally cool because I pass by your place on my way here anyways."

"So you'll do it?" Robin pleaded, turning to Eddie with a hopeful look on her face.

"I guess, it beats getting kicked out of my apartment and having to move back in with my uncle." Eddie said, grabbing the application and clicking open the blue pen as Robin's smile widened as if she was jumping up and down with glee on the inside.

As he began to fill it out, Robin walked over to the landline phone hanging on the wall next to Steve and started dialing a number.

"I have an idea that will make sure that you get hired." Robin said, putting the beige phone up to her ear and listening to the calling tone.

"Who are you calling?" Steve asked.

Just at that moment, the person on the other line picked up.

"Hi Keith, I was wondering if we could hire Eddie to work here for a while. He's been having trouble finding a job and we could really use another employee here."

"What would I get out of this?" Keith asked, with a suspicious tone to his voice.

"Well, you wouldn't have to work any double shifts anymore which would free up your mornings." Robin said, trying to convince him since she knew how stubborn Keith could be.

"As long as one of you trains him and I don't have to work with him, you guys can hire him right now for all I care."

"Okay, thank you thank you thank you!"