Home Sweet Home

It only took 3 rings before the other side of the line picked up the call.

"Hello?"
"Hi Helen."

There was an uncomfortable pause on the other end of the line.

"Dennis? Is that you?"
"Yup. It's me. How've you been?"
"Oh...well I've been fine. How about yourself dear?"
"I've been...okay. How is it going over there? Is everyone well?"
"Yes, they're all well. Raina and Jamie are at school right now. And Johnathan's at work as usual."
"That's good..."
"..."
"..."
"Dennis?"
"Yes?"
"I hope you don't mind if I ask but - why did you call all of a sudden? I mean, it's lovely that you called, but it's a bit unexpected. Is everything alright dear?"

Dennis smiled softly. It was true. It was a rare occasion for him to call home voluntarily, let alone initiate the conversation to this extent, and add to that his personality and usually cold demeanor, so Dennis understood where his adoptive mother was coming from.

"It's alright Helen. Just wanted to call...hey, I have a free day today and tomorrow. Would it be inconvenient if I came over? I did promise that I'd come visit someday didn't I?"
"Oh... Oh, why yes, of course you can Dennis! So you'll be sleeping over I guess? I'll prepare your room for you. It's getting quite dusty in there. I'll make your favorite sugar cookies too. I'll make sure the twins don't snack on them before you arrive. Oh it's so nice of you to come visit!"

Dennis chuckled at Helen's suddenly chirpy tone. She was always extremely generous - a kind woman at heart. She was the one that helped Dennis open up a bit. He was far worse in terms of behavior before than he was now.

"Okay Helen. I'll be there at around 3. Bye."
"Bye Dennis! I'll be waiting!"

- - -
Ah yes, home - the quaint little two story house with its cream colored paint and wooden windows and roman tiled roof and horse hair 'Welcome' mat at the doorstep, all looking a bit worn by the elements but still keeping a neat and welcoming appearance to it. It wasn't too far from the college, but one would still need to take a taxi ride there. Walking would take a bit of time to get there. Dennis saw his adoptive father's rickety car that still had the dent on its side from when Jamie accidentally rammed his head into it while playing Bullfighter with Raina. He had a purple bump on his forehead for the rest of the week. Honestly, those two were a handful.

He rang the doorbell and took a deep breath as the door opened wide and he saw the bright smile of his mother's face. She sported a short blonde mid cut - a classic middle-aged suburban mother hairstyle. Helen had a sweet face that always bore a smile. A few wrinkles here and there did not tarnish her still quite lovely appearance. One could tell that she was a beautiful young woman in her youth.

"Dennis! Oh how nice to see your face again. It feels like an eternity since the last time I saw you. Jonathan! Come out here! Dennis is home."

A few moments passed before another familiar face popped up behind Helen.

"Dennis, how good it is to see you son!"

Dennis could see the dark circles and stress lines on his father's face, yet he still managed to sound as excited as Helen was. Many hours working in in the mechanical engineering field could make even a sturdy young man seems far older than his actual age in terms of appearance. Jonathan was a tubby man, not quite short but not quite tall either. His hair began to thin at the scalp but not to the extent of a bald spot. He too acquired wrinkled from age but ,just like his wife, remained a dashing man nonetheless.

Dennis only realized now that he had still been standing outside the door on the patio, and so did his parents who stepped out of the doorway before Helen engulfed Dennis in a tight hug.