Chapter 1: Lucas

Everyone around me was cheering, sharing drinks, and dancing.

I couldn't bring myself to join them though.

It was a victory dinner, after our "win" against the Catori. Or so they say it was a win. I only see it as a loss though.

We lost 80 soldiers, and have at least three-hundred injured. I mourned the dead alone.

I finally stood up, and looked through the crowd. Not one spared a glance at me. Mostly because they were terrified of me.

I am the general of this army. The human army. I worked my entire life to get this position. Now I'm known throughout the kingdoms. I train all my soldiers. But the king still asks for more.

He asks for kindness from me. He asks that I would stop being so cold to everyone.

But I find that close to impossible. Not once do I smile anymore. Why should I? Why should I spend my time with annoying emotions, instead of keeping the kingdom safe?

No, the last time I smiled was with my family.

The last time I saw them, I was smiling. They were the only reason why I would smile.

I finished up my drink, and walked through the bar. People seemed to move out of my way when I walked, and it made my life ten times easier.

"Lucas." A voice spoke from behind me, and I turned around, and narrowed my eyes.

"That's general Lucas." I warned as I continued on, only to see the one girl that actually put up with my coldness, run in front of me and stop me. Her name was Trisha.

"Excuse me, but do we still have early training tomorrow?" She asked, and I curled my lip at her.

"Of course we do." I grumbled and walked past her. She frowned, and followed me.

I wanted to snap at her, and do anything to get her away. It's been a long day fighting the Catori, and I just want to go to bed.

"Why are you always so grumpy?" She asked, and I lost my patience. I whirled around and before she could lift her hands, I had my kunai pulled from my sleeve, and aimed at her throat. I could see the instant shock and fear in her eyes.

"Maybe you should learn that saying some things can get you killed." I hissed through gritted teeth, pressing the kunai against her throat, drawing a little bit of blood. She finally held her breath, and I let go of her.
I gave her a final heated look, before I continued my way to my dorm in the knights dormitory. But once I reached for the handle, a voice spoke from behind and I looked to see the kings right hand man standing there.
Him and I really don't get along at all. I can tell he tries his best to avoid me.
He cleared his throat, and spoke loudly to me.
"The king has requested you." He announced, and I scoffed silently, but followed the man nonetheless.
We reached the throne room, and the king sat in his throne beside the queen. The princess was in no sight. Which wasn't a huge surprise because the princess usually isn't apart of these type of meetings.
I immediately bowed as I neared, and I heard the king stand.
"Stand, Lucas." He commanded to me. Honestly, The king usually gives formal names to everyone, but I guess I'm an exception.
I stood straight, and stared at the king. The king's eyes searched me, and finally he nodded slowly.
"I need you to go off on an important mission. One that I need no mess ups at all. Understand?" He asked, and I felt myself slowly grow worried with what I could be doing.
"I need you to assassinate the princess of the Catori." He explained, and I almost broke my composure, but kept my gaze all the same. But millions of thoughts rushed through my head. Me? Assassinate the princess? Most would think of it as a suicidal mission. But I'm confident that I could sneak past the enemy lines with the technology and weapons we've created ourselves.
"This is a camouflage crystal. Use it to transform into the catori but it will only keep you as one for about a day." The king continued, handing me a green glowing crystal. I stared at it for a couple of moments, before I nodded determiningly, and walked back to my dorm, getting ready to leave as early as possible.