• sixteen • Friends •

El skipped the rest of school that day. She couldn't breathe. Yes she sat in her truck most of that day. She couldn't drive home. In case Joyce was home. She didn't want the questions. Plus she was suppose to drive Will home. Will tried not paying attention to El and Mike. He loved them both. And didn't understand either of them. They both wanted eachother but both hated eachother.

El got home from school with Will and ran up to her room. She sat there starring at the picture beside her bed. Of course she still had it. It helped her sleep at night. It was taken the day of her birthday. Her best birthday ever.

She grabbed the frame smashing it against the wall, the glass shattering everywhere. Her head hit the pillow and she creid. She cried and cried until she fell asleep. What was this coming too. She was stronger then this. She had to be.

The next Monday she went to school with her head held high. She wasn't gonna break in front of people. She couldn't. No one would respect her. What game was she gonna play. The flirting trying to get another girls man. The continue to ignore him. The pretend none of this happened. She didn't know.

Science class came and went. She sat by Troy like usual and took a couple glances of Mike. Which were not returned.

Lunch came and she sat down. To her surprise Mike sat at thier table. She looked at Max and smiled and tiny small.

"So Mike! What's the deal with you and Stacey?" Lucas asked.

El smiled and looked down at her food. Now this time her.playing with it.

"Oh-- umm... We started talking this summer. Turns out she's more then a pretty face"

El let out a little sob, no one noticed but Max.

"Damn Michael, your really getting your dream girl" Dustin commented. She didn't know what they were accomplishing over then her wanting to die.

"Yeah I guess so. We have a date this weekend so we will see how that goes"

El took a deep breath looking at Max

"I can't do this..." She whispered.

"Your strong El... Just keep it in..."

~~~~~

A couple weeks past and Mike got everything he ever wanted. Stacey was now his girl. El would sob anytime seeing them together. His arm constantly around her. Stolen kisses here and there that El could see. She broke each and every time. But she had to get over this. Obviously she was just a distraction when he needed one.

Some lunches Mike sat with Stacey. Some with the party. Today it was with the party.

Dustin and Lucas were arguing about something insanely stupid.

"You know you guys should like shut the fuck up right?" Mike suggested

El let out a laugh. A real laugh. To something Mike had said. Everyone went quiet.

"Woah hold up. Did you just laugh at something Mike said?" Lucas said shocked towards El.

El shurgged "It was funny"

Mike looked up just as shocked.

She smiled a normal smile in which he returned. They could do this. They could be friends right.

"Does this mean we can all hang out again? Iissed all of us together" Max practically begged.

"I never said we couldn't" el smiled back at her.

"Okay whatever! We're doing it tonight! The Byers house?" Dustin asked.

"Movie night?" Lucas asked.