Distrust

"Here it is. Aiyako beach..." 

Today Maki decided to wake me up early to go to her favorite beach with her. She told me this is where she spent many nights in her youth. 

"I can get why you like this beach so much. The sand is so soft, it makes me feel like I am walking on sunshine..." I added, and Maki smiled at my metaphorical language.

"I know... Sadly when I was younger I had a lot of trouble hunting down my targets. If I made those mistakes today I would be killed, but back then I was just a little girl... I got so bad I was exiled one time, and I spent my time here hoping the clan would take me back." Maki discussed, and as every day went by you heard more and more about Maki's sad life.

Thankfully she gets to put that life behind her, and I get to be with her forever.

"I am sorry you had to go through all of that. A little kid should be making friends and having fun... Not killing people." I responded, and Maki nodded with a sad look on her face.

It didn't seem like Maki enjoyed talking about topics related to her past. So I thought it was time I told her more about myself. 

"Maki. I doubt I told you this, but there were times when I always wanted to be an adult and a lawyer. At the same time, I wish my childhood never ended. I had no priorities and sure I had school, but it was just memorizing things and taking tests on them. If I could go back I would in a heartbeat." I described it to Maki, and she seemed to be cheered up even just a little bit.

"To be honest I would go back to my childhood too knowing what I know now. I would prepare myself more for what was to come, and especially... Him..." Maki stated, and that is when she brought up that mysterious figure again.

This is my third day with Maki, and she has brought up a man named Him time and time again. At the same time, Maki didn't tell me who this fella was or what he was even like in general... Who was this man?

"His name.. was Kaito... Kaito Momota. The first man I ever fell in love with..." 

Maki then proceeded to tell me the story of how she met Kaito and managed to fall in love with him. She described him as this goof, but he was a really caring person, and if it wasn't for Kaito that Maki wouldn't be alive right now. She also admitted she regrets not protecting him from a bear named Monokuma. She thinks it was her fault that he died, but at the same time I was hiding a secret from Maki... I watched Danganronpa 53. 

Kaito was executed and sure Maki can blame herself all she wants for his death, but at the same time, he died from a disease. The execution failed. He died on his own accord. If she did protect him the disease would kill him right then and there.

"Maki... If you protected Kaito he would have died in the first place. He had the disease. Don't you remember how angry Monokuma was that his execution didn't kill Kaito?" I told Maki, but that is when I let the secret loose, and Maki could clearly tell what I did.

"You... Watched the show!? I thought you never heard of Danganronpa!" Maki exclaimed.

"I didn't, but after you told me about the show I looked it up. Sure it was on this very awful site that was full of inappropriate ads and stuff, but I watched it. I am sorry Maki, but my curiosity got the best of me..." I replied to Maki's shock, and what I was met with was a punch to the gut.

"Ow! What the fuck Maki!" 

The punch felt like a thousand bulls hit you instantaneously, and it felt like you were going to puke any moment now!

"Don't talk to me again until you are ready to apologize you scumbag!" Maki yelled at me, and she then dashed off back into the city. 

I honestly deserved that, and I shouldn't have broken Maki's trust like that. Sure she didn't tell me not to watch it, but to be honest it was an unspoken breach of her trust.

I hope she forgives me for what I've done...

Word count: 745