Chapter 16: Strike One

Strike One:

Ashton shook the man's hand and accepted the bag. "I commend you for being so prompt."

The balding man grinned. "We strive to please our customers." His white brows furrowed. "Though I am curious why you would withdraw such a large sum of money at one time?"

Ashton raised one elegant eyebrow and then pinned him with a hard amber gaze, His tone was clipped and clearly held a reprimand. "My reasons are my own, as is this money." He turned on his heel and strode out the door.

The Banker's face looked ashen and he sighed. "Of course." He turned around and went about his normal duties.

Ashton got in his limo and ordered the driver to return home. He hit the button to roll the window up and proceeded to count the money to ensure every yen was accounted for.

Arriving at the estate he waited for Jason to open his door and then strolled into the estate. He passed the bag to his employee. "Here is what you require."

Katelyn clutched the bag to her chest and nodded. She stared up at him with tears in her eyes. "Thank you so much Ashton."

He nodded. "Worry not about this money, you will repay me in time."

Katelyn smiled and passed the bag back to him. "Will you hold this until we leave for the exchange?"

Ashton nodded and put it in his safe assuring, "It will remain here until the time comes."

Calum nodded. "Good, now since that is settled, we have some visits to make Katelyn."

She sighed heavily and nodded. She walked over and took Calum's hand. "Let's get this over with." She said bowing her head.

Calum nodded and led her out to her car. He opened the door and watched her slide inside. Once her belt was clicked into place, he slid into the driver's seat and clicked his belt on.

He started the engine. "Where to first," he stared at her laptop.

She sighed and recited the address. He gunned the engine and roared out of the drive way. His knuckles gripped the steering wheel so tight that they turned white.

Devin followed his speed demon brother and muttered about his reckless speed.

Calum pulled to a stop and cut the engine.

Katelyn's eyes widened. "Cal, why are we here?"

His brow rose.

She sighed. "I told you, he would never –"

Calum sent her a hard glare and held up a hand. "Yeah, yeah, I heard you the first dozen times."

He pushed his door open and stepped out. He cracked his neck and sighed. "Listen Kate, we know it was either the thug, the idiot, or that other guy."

She corrected in a huff. "It's Floyd."

He snorted. "Whatever." His eyes bore into hers. "Either way, I have every intention of checking them all out. If you don't like it, just have Devin take you back to the pompous ass's mansion and wait for me there." He slammed the door shut.

He turned to his brother who parked behind them. "You stay back and let me deal with them. You figure out which weapons you want for tonight. We will need to get them before we go to the dog's place for the money."

Devin pouted, but nodded.

Knowing how short tempered her ex could get, she huffed and slammed hers shut as well. "You aren't going near them without me there."