Chapter 21: The Aftermath

Aftermath:

The ambulances arrived minutes later. Calum was loaded onto a stretcher and placed inside.

Katelyn was loaded onto another stretcher and loaded into the second one.

Marcus shut the door of the second ambulance and sighed. He spoke into his cell phone. "That's right. They are on the way to the hospital right now."

Ashton's gruff voice sounded on the other end. "Very well we will meet you there. Make sure you get the bag Marcus."

Marcus glared at the phone now emitting only a dial tone. He kicked the bag at his feet and mumbled. "I already got it, you pompous jackass." He grunted and picked up the bag.

He watched as the dead bodies were loaded into body bags and sighed heavily. "You two sure made a big mess." He shook his head and went to inform Luke and the others of the situation.

Luke growled. "Where is she?"

Marcus stared at the kids and waved Luke over to him.

Luke grunted but passed Ethan to Niall and walked over. "Start talking."

Marcus spoke low enough so only the adults could hear and explained what had happened.

Luke's face paled and he stared at the ground. 'Dammit, I knew I should have gone with her.'

Marcus walked over to Katelyn's car and placed the bag in the passenger seat. He turned around to the kids and smiled. "Hey you two, how about we go for a ride?"

Ethan stared at him. "Where is mommy?"

Lindsey cried. "Mommy!" and tried to struggle free.

Marcus scooped her into her arms and kissed the top of her head. "Shh, mommy is going to be okay. In fact, if you want, I can take you to where she is."

Ethan demanded. "Take us there now!"

Marcus chuckled. "You got it kid." He placed Lindsey into her seat and buckled her belt. He passed her a teddy bear. "Hold on to that, okay?"

Lindsey cuddled the bear to her chest and sobbed. "Is mommy really okay?" She stared at him with sad eyes.

Marcus smiled. "Yeah kid. She's going to the doctor right now, but you will see her soon."

Ethan chewed his bottom lip and wiggled in his seat. He stared at Marcus, who clicked his belt into place.

"Let's go. We want to see mommy."

Marcus hollered out directions to the hospital to Devin and then drove off.

Devin got into his car and followed Marcus. 'Oh please let them be okay.' He fought back tears so he could focus on his driving.

XOXOXO:

At the hospital four hour later, Ethan stomped his foot and shoved the empty bag of potato chips away. He rounded on Marcus. "You said we could see mommy hours ago. Now I want to see my mommy!"

Lindsey was nuzzled in Lynn's arms and crying. "Is mommy really okay?"

Before either adult could answer a doctor walked up. "Are you the family of Katelyn Fisher?"

Ingrid spoke up. "I am her mother." She knitted her brows. "Is something wrong?"

The doctor smiled. "No ma'am she came through just fine and is in her room resting. She's asking about her kids."

Ingrid sighed with relief. "Thank God."

The twins jumped up and ran over. "Nana, can we see mommy now?"