Chapter 20: Showdown Pt II

Showdown Pt II:

The twins huddled together. Ethan pushed Lindsey's face towards his chest to try and muffles her whimpers as they heard gravel crunching nearby.

His eyes widened and his little heart pounded. He was torn between jumping out and attacking whoever was coming by them and keeping his sister safe. He squeezed his eyes shut.

"Come on out kids, I won't hurt you. Mommy and I are just having a bit of a disagreement, that's all."

A gunshot rang loud in his ears. His little eyes squeezed tighter and his arms trembled around his sister. 'Hurry mommy.'

A long minute later his mother's voice came towards them.

"Floyd, don't you dare harm one hair on their heads!"

Ethan's eyes shot open and he clapped a hand over Lindsey's mouth.

Lindsey struggled trying to get free and run to her mommy, but her brother kept her held.

"Stay still," he hissed under his breath.

"But mommy," Lindsey blinked as her brother glared at her.

"Be quiet or he will find us." He whisper hissed.

Floyd chuckled. "Oops too late," he dragged the kids out of behind the box.

Ethan and Lindsey began screaming and trying to struggle against him.

"No!"

"Let go!"

"Mommy, help me!"

Katelyn rounded the corner eyes full of anger. "Let them go!"

He backhanded Ethan and sent him skidding across the dirt. He placed the gun on Lindsey's head. "Drop your gun or say goodbye to your daughter."

Katelyn's eyes flared, but she dropped the gun and kicked it to the side. "Let her go, Floyd. I'm the one you're angry at."

Floyd snorted. He glared at her. "You should have married me. I could have made you happy." He thought about all the things he'd done for her.

Holding her when she cried over what had happened with Calum. Taking the kids to the park so she could have a little breather. Making love to her when he really wanted to get wild.

His jaw clenched and a muscle ticked by his mouth.

Katelyn sighed. "Put down the gun and we will talk about this." Her eyes pleaded with him. "Please Floyd, don't hurt my kids. They're just innocent children." She took a step towards him.

He aimed the gun at the dirt by her feet and squeezed the trigger. "Stay where you are!"

Lindsey's eyes widened. "No, don't hurt my mommy!" Her lower lip trembled and tears fell down her cheeks.

Katelyn stopped where she was. "Okay, but please let's talk about this."

Floyd stared at her and the gun in his hand shook. "You stay right there and no tricks."

Katelyn held her hands up. "No tricks, but you've got to talk to me."

Lindsey saw her brother lying on the ground and cried. "Ethan, speak to me!" She dove towards him and fell to her knees hugging his body as he sat up.

At the same time Luke growled and jumped off the crate, knocking Floyd to the ground. Niall and Elton grabbed the kids and rushed them to the rest of the group. "Don't worry kids, you're safe now."

Katelyn dove to the side, scooping up her gun and fired at Floyd, just as he was about to punch Luke.

Floyd's shoulder burned and he cried out in pain, grabbing his shoulder.