Chapter 17: Strike Two

Strike Two:

They arrived in a parking lot outside of the security building and he cut the engine.

Calum got out and slammed the door rolling his eyes when Katelyn's door also slammed shut.

Devin jumped out of his car with a huge grin on his face.

All too aware that an inevitable fight was about to occur, Katelyn muttered, "Let's just get this over with."

Calum rolled his eyes and followed her.

She walked up to the building and took a deep breath. 'I just hope they don't break anything this time.' She pushed the door open and went straight to the elevator.

Devin followed them and felt butterflies brushing the inside of his tummy. 

He closed his eyes and imagined rubbing his fingers on the soft triangular ears. He could feel the soft fur almost like downy moving under his nimble fingers. A smile filtered across his face and his fingertips tingled in anticipation.

Unaware of her best friend's daydream, Katelyn pushed the button for the top floor and sighed.

The cart jerked into motion and the wheels squealed as it started up the shaft.

Calum tapped his foot and huffed. "Can't they at least oil the damn wheels?"

Katelyn rolled her shoulders trying to loosen some of the tension. "You could just let me talk to him."

Calum snorted. "You'd be all like," His voice went up a few octaves. "I know you wouldn't betray me, but - "

She elbowed him in the ribs.

"Oof!" Calum glared at her. "What was that for?"

Katelyn snorted. "That was a horrible impersonation of me."

He rolled his eyes and snorted. "Well you would." His hand rubbed his ribs. "You have a pointy elbow you know."

Drawn from his fantasies Devin rolled his eyes. "Don't they ever stop arguing?' He pulled out his compact mirror and dabbed some blush on his cheeks. 'Oh, I hope he remembers me.' Butterflies fluttered in his stomach as he diligently fixed his lipstick. 'Red always was his favorite color.'

Katelyn sighed as the elevator dinged and the door slid open. She took a deep breath and stepped into the hall way. 'Here goes nothing.' She squared her shoulders and lifted her foot.

Calum rolled his eyes. "Kate, hurry it up already."

She blinked. It had been a long time since she had last seen Marcus face to face and she mustering up the courage to see her first childhood crush.

Calum shoved past her and stormed over to the office door, kicking it open. "Yo dog shit, I know you're in here."

Marcus jumped up from his desk. "Yo asshole, what do you think you're doing?"

His wife walked around the desk and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Relax Marc, I told you they were coming over today."

Marcus snorted. "Still doesn't have to be so rude." He glared at Calum. His eyes softened as he spotted Katelyn behind the brute.

He smiled. "Hey Kate."

Katelyn grinned. "Hey Marc."

The brunette with a protruding belly walked forward and enveloped her best friend in a strong hug.

Katelyn grinned. "You look good Daphne."

Daphne smiled and placed a hand on her tummy. "Thanks. Marc is making sure that we eat right and get plenty of rest."