Chapter Twenty-Two

It had been a couple weeks, and you were having the time of your life.

Shakky and yourself would cook dinner and talk to eachother- even though your height really differentiates, you were used to having to accommodate to conditions like this.

You told her stories of Rayleigh as you journeyed, turning to smile and blush some of the times.

Shakky would smile, nodding, she felt no jealousy because- her and Rayleigh were married for buisness. They were buisness partners.

It's not like she couldn't divorce him, she just didn't want to spend time finding someone else.

Tragic. Isn't it?

Rayleigh walked into the room, smiling at the two of you. You were sitting in the kitchen area on a stool, helping her out.

When the meal was served, you ate with the two of them and spoke about how snobby the people around here are.

"I miss my crew, I'm not one for settling down. I live for the sea." You said, chuckling nervously

That's when it hit Rayleigh.

You never really rejected marrying him, you rejected the fact of not being free-willed and settled on the ground with children. He always respected your honesty. He couldn't help but smile just thinking about it.

For once, Rayleigh craved adventure, and regretted his past decisions. He wished that he could travel with you, and cherish your sense of adventure. Maybe it was because you were just like Roger, or maybe it was because you carried his sense of self inside of you.

Shakky glanced at him, "Rayleigh. I have something to discuss with you in the bedroom." She said, smiling. "After dinner, of course.

Immediately, you finished your food, "im uh, going to go for a swim." You hurried out the door in a panic.

Shakky turned towards him, "its about Y/N. Don't try to interrupt me now. I'll beat your ass." She hummed, chuckling. "I say do it. You look at her, and seem so young again. We can all be at peace, together. If she's alright with that." She chuckled.

Rayleigh looked at her, ad shook his head, "you weren't always so understanding." He chuckled.

"Well, what can I say? I got older." She hummed.

"I think she's going to want to go on her own for Ace though, I haven't given her the newspaper yet.." He said softly, his brows furrowing.

"Mhm, i know she will, I mean, she was kicking  young kaido's ass at God Valley when she was twenty-one."

Rayleigh nodded, "You're right, she'll be fine, right?" He asked, looking at shakky for an answer for once.

"Look what she's done to you- of course she'll be fine! She could kill you if she wanted to Rayleigh. She's really still in her prime. She is not meant to fight in this world, though."

Rayleigh nods, "her upbringing was stressful before she left the Marines."

"Mhm, Akainu isn't the best husband. We'll replace that for the better." Shakky said, patting his chest and kissing his cheek before retreating to her bedroom with a smile. Finally, she wouldn't be the only one who has to worry whether he was alive or gambling.

Rayleigh hopped out of his chair, and left the run-down bar to look for you.

You were currently swimming, this was going to make your hair curly as ever-loving hell.

Rayleigh took notice of your swimming form, taking note of your muscular body before snapping out of it. "Y/N." He said, calling you over.

"What'd shakky talk about?" You asked as you swam.

"Nothing serious, just about me traveling the seas again." He said, chuckling.

"Wow, you're gonna die one day, and she'll just think you're out killing people for their money to bail yourself from your stupid gamble." You rolled your eyes, letting him pull you up from land.

Rayleigh chuckled, "I got something in the mail today, Y/n." He said, handing you the newspaper that was originally stuffed in his pocket.

He grew nervous as you opened the folded up newspaper. You hummed with a smile, and opened it, searching around the words.

Then, your eyes fell upon it. Oh..oh no.

Your eyes watered, "ace...is on the execution block?!"

Rayleigh nodded, "there's a week until the execution. Luffy will be headed towards impel down, then to marineford. I assume you want to go."

"I have to." You said, glaring at him, "you know I promised Roger to protect him in his honor." Rayleigh only nodded in response. "You layed your life down for that man." He said with a sigh.

I nod, "the only thing is, I'll have to see my dad. I know we miss eachother, but he'll have to fight me...on the other hand i could run in-"

Rayleigh pulled you in for a hug, chin on your shoulder. "Just, don't die and reach somewhere safe no matter the cost." He said, running his fingers through your wet hair.

You reciprocated the hug, tightly squeezing him to you, "of course, I'm not an idiot...like i used to be anyways." You said, pressing a kiss to his forehead...just like you used to.

Rayleigh blushed lightly, feeling stupid for acting and feeling this way at such an old age. Love doesn't rest, does it?

You smiled, standing up, "ill have to swim to marineford." You cracked your neck.

"Tell...tell shakky I said that I love her, and that I'll miss he-"

Rayleigh smacked you upside the head with an amused expression. "You're not dying, Y/n."

"Oh, yeah, tell her I'll miss her." You said, and pressed a kiss to his forehead again before diving into the water. I mean. All your valuables were in fishman island- so. Whatever.

He just watched you, placing a hand up to his forehead as he grinned. Rayleigh stayed at the spot until he could no longer see your swimming form.

You were too sweet for your own good.

He was definetly going to miss you...alot.