Epilouge

Two figures made their way across the gathering darkness of the graveyard. Wind tugged at their hair, tangling the stale red of blood splattered on the floor with the faded yellow of sunshine trying to make its way through the dark storm clouds raging above, pulling their hoods down and winding through the fabric of their winter coats. They were leaning against each other and it was hard to tell who was holding the other up.

Once they reached the grave they were looking for, they stopped, Ruth staying upright while Emma lent in the dark wet mud, soaking her knees, but not even noticing. Unzipping her coat, she shivered as another gust of wind hit her and Ruth swayed behind her, shivering from the wind and emotion fluttering through her body.

Emma pulled out a stack of paper, loosely tied with a blue ribbon that matched the sky on a sunny day. Tears ran down her face, swept away by the gentle caress of the wind on her face until the tears blended with the occasional drops of rain that fell. Ruth lent down to hug the younger girl, lending her strength in this moment of release. Pulling herself together, Emma placed the pile onto the grave. The only thing you could read on the paper was what was written on the creamy grey of the envelopes, where the address would go if the recipient wasn't lying in the harsh soil, with no bricks to shelter him, and no building to ever call home again. The front read 'Dear Jacob'.

They stood up and turned their backs one last time to the grave where their brother and last love lay. The wind screamed one last time, carrying away the letters in a single howl of anguish, carrying the letters up, away, and down, the ink, words and thoughts fading into one in the dark mess of the stream that glittered just behind the grave the two had cried over many times before.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I'm sorry it took so long to post this final bit, but thanks for reading whoever you are, and i'm sorry my writing skills aren't fab but... thanks again for reading, it means the world :)