Letter 6

Dear Jacob,

Trains are boring when it's not dark, but cousins who go to school when you are off are worse. Robin and I are stuck in a house with an aunt who constantly works. It's just after midday. This day has lasted forever, and it's not even evening.

Earlier, I went to make myself a sandwich, like Aunt Jenny said I should because I was bored, when Clara, the gorgeous chocolate Labrador puppy, named after the Doctor Who companion, ate all the cheese straight from my hand. I was walking back from the fridge humming under my breath when SNAP. It was all gone and a smug looking Clara sat on my feet.

So, I am currently writing this with it balanced on my lap, on my trip to the shops. I can imagine you telling me that Clara is so cute and that I shouldn't be so harsh on her. But she is more annoying than Little Sammy, your dog. I remember going to choose him with you. You, Ruth and your parents were going, and you decided I must come too.

When I arrived, Ruth just smiled at me and then turned her attention back onto the yapping balls of fluff with a swish of her Rapunzel style dyed blue and blond hair. Your parents gently smiled and introduced themselves as Mary and Harry, allowing me time to shyly mumble my name as a response before turning their attention back onto the man at the rescue centre.

The centre itself was huge, filled with rescued dogs from all over the Midlands. I loved them all immediately, but one caught your eye. A St Bernard puppy that was missing an ear. "What dya think, Emma!" you whispered, staring with that childish delight at the puppy. "He's cute. And his ear's not infected so he's perfectly healthy." I added, inspecting the brown and white mass. He seemed to stare into my soul with his big brown eyes, and I joined the fan club of this adorable big dog.

"I want one!" I mourned, letting him lick my fingers through the bars of his cage. As his tongue gently scratched my knuckles, I laughed and leant back on you, the way an old tired shed might lean against a brick wall. As we sat there, I let names filter through my brain, trying to fit the right one to this ball of fur that we had both fallen for. "Sammy." You decided behind me, and immediately I knew what he should be called. "Little Sammy." Once we had agreed on Little Sammy (it didn't take long!) you hugged me. "I'm going to spoil him rotten!" you said. "We are." I corrected, laughing.

I don't know how, but when we decided to adopt Little Sammy, Jacob and Emma became we. And it has always stayed like that. Simply because, if you love someone like we loved each other, formalities just aren't needed.

Love, Emma