Letter 15

Dear Jacob,
Relationships are like gravity. No matter how far one person goes up, the other will pull them back down, usually hurting the first.
And family meet ups are the ground that first person hits. The pain that follows is the reason most relationship[s fail after parents are introduced. Some hit the ground running. Others painfully fall, deciding never to aim that high in that situation again.
I'll let you decide what happened with us because I probably have a different view. Because although gravity is a heartless thing, you hit the ground running and carried on oblivious to the fact that gravity wished to chase after you. Also oblivious to the fact that gravity's parents had a massive argument with her after you left.
But enough of analogies. You don't know the entire story of what happened to gravity. Let's just say, it wasn't pretty.
But I can tell you what was pretty. The sight of you on my doorstep illuminated by the sun, holding flowers for my mum and me, dressed in your smartest jeans and shirt.
I would have kissed you there and then if it weren't for my overwhelming shyness and my dad stood behind me. Before I could even smile, speak or touch you, my dad jumped in. 'so this is the infamous Jacob then?' I wished to dig a hole and hide in it already, but a cool smile from you was all it took. Soothing my dad into thinking you weren't a threat was similar to the way you soothe a dog, no eye contact, soft tone and voice, placating non aggravating comments, you did everything except stroking, which was probably a smart move.
After dealing with a fussing mum, we managed to escape from them both. I suppose this wasn't the meeting you were thinking of, because they didn't know we were together, but at least now I was able to talk about you, knowing my nosy caring parents could put a face to the name.
Sorry, waffling, nervous.
Yet not as nervous as you were when I showed you the way to mine and Robin's den.
It was a small room that had been labelled as the junk room until Robin and I needed another place to escape to. So, tidying it up, we filled it with cupboards, a TV, a PlayStation, and so many blankets, sofas and beanbags that you could barely see the floor.
As we passed Robin's room, she smirked and leaned against her doorframe. She looked like a tiger. A very threatening, smug tiger. But after seeing us, she just winked and slid back behind her door.
Rolling my eyes, an apologetic smile was heading your way as we reached the den. I turned after shutting the door behind us, an apologetic explanation hovering on my lips, but it was pulled away, along with a small intake of air, as you kissed me.
You always managed to remind me of hazy morning sunshine, condensed into a person. And your kisses were like the beams that escaped the clouds, lighting up areas like a single spotlight in a theatre.
If the world is indeed a stage, you, Jacob, are the spotlight, lighting up sections of the world, making everyone around you feel as if they are the luckiest and most loved person on this earth.
And I want you to come back and light up my life again. The world is a small, dark place without your shine. Please, come back and light us all up once more. I need your happiness again.
Please.
Love, Emma