➀ Kokonoi Hajime ୭ ✧ ˚. ᵎᵎ

╭──────────────────────╮

╰──────────────────────╮ ╭──────────────────────╯╰┈➤ 𝑨𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 began its descent, casting a twilight purple glow over the long grass field, the girl lay side by side with Kokonoi

╰┈➤ 𝑨𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 began its descent, casting a twilight purple glow over the long grass field, the girl lay side by side with Kokonoi.

It was a familiar spot where they often spent time together, reminiscing about their childhood memories. Yet today, something felt different. She sensed a heaviness in his heart that had always been there, a pain he had been carrying for far too long.

"Hajime," she finally spoke softly, breaking the silence that hung between them. "Is there something on your mind?"

Kokonoi turned his gaze towards her, his eyes filled with a mix of sadness and hesitation. He took a deep breath, as if gathering the strength to share something he had never dared to speak aloud before.

"It's about Akane," he began, his voice trembling with emotion. "I never told anyone the full story, not even you."

Her heart ached as she listened, knowing she was about to hear the truth behind the tragedy that had haunted him since their childhood. She nodded gently, urging him to continue.

"I did manage to get inside the burning house that day," his words choked with grief. "But the smoke and flames were too overwhelming, and I couldn't find Akane. I did see her younger brother, though. He looked exactly like her from behind."

He paused, his eyes misty with tears. "In my desperation, I grabbed him, thinking he was Akane, and rushed him out of the house. But when I got outside, I realized my mistake. It was her brother, not her."

Tears welled up in her own eyes as she witnessed Kokonoi's pain so raw and unfiltered. She held his hand, offering what little comfort she could.

"I promised her that I would save her," he continued, his voice quivering. "But the hospital bills were too much, and I couldn't find the money in time. She... she didn't make it."

A sob escaped his throat as she embraced him, her heart breaking for the burden he had carried alone all this time.

"I'm so sorry, Hajime," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "I wish there was something I could have done."

He looked into her eyes, finding solace in her presence despite the pain. "You've always been there for me, even when I didn't say a word," his voice was barely above a whisper. "Thank you."

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting an cold color across the field, she felt it was time to let go of her secret feelings for him. She realized that the love she had for him couldn't compare to the love he had lost.

It was something that she knew had to remain in her own heart. Deep down she had always known, that he would never love her back.

They lay there together, the weight of the past finally laid bare between them—even if they weren't meant to be lovers, their hearts were joined forever.

╰┈➤ NOW OR NEVER 𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

••• ┊┊╰┈➤ NOW OR NEVER 𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪