Chapter 19| Dark Plans

After all these incidents, Espresso has finally gotten to be his old self again. He was still being bitter and smug to everyone, he was still working all night and all day, he still has been a little...rude, towards Madeleine, but he's been acting a bit nicer to him. Only him. He's a homo, what do you expect? Anyways, Espresso was outside reading a small book.

(Doing the same thing that happened in the first two chapters!)

He heard that Madeleine would be putting on a stage play. But one just to prove his glory to the kingdom. Espresso obviously isn't gonna show up since he'll be busy, but he'll try to show up whenever he can. He saw Madeleine walking up to him from the corner of his eye. "I can see you, Madeleine," Espresso said softly. The knight commander smiled. "Awh, I was trying to sneak up on you!" He chuckled. The mage rolled his eyes. "Do you require my assistance?"
"As a matter of fact, I indeed do! You heard about the small play I'm putting on tonight, correct?" Madeleine stood next to the mage. He nodded.
"Indeed I did..."
"I just wanted to ask if you wanted to help me set it up! Ya know, more time to bond?" Madeleine put his arm around the mages shoulder. He raised an eyebrow. "Mmm...possibly, possibly not. What's in it for me?"
"I won't bother you for the rest of the day," Madeleine looked down at the mages book.

"What are you reading?"
"A book,"
"No kidding! Whats the topic?"
"Magic."

"As always..." Madeleine folded his arms. "Did you get any sleep last night?" Madeleine looked at the mage and surprisingly, saw no eyebags. "I...got distracted. Don't take it to heart," Espresso admitted as he looked at Madeleine. He smiled. "That's great! I'm so proud of you," he kissed the mages cheek. "Dont- at least not in front of anybody...the others are still confused," Espresso looked back down at his book. "Oh, right. Apologies, I forgot,"
"Your alright," Espresso smiled to himself. "Well, I'll be with Mint Choco and Parfait at the main stage. I'll see ya later, Essy!" Madeleine said before walking off. "I'll see you-...wait what?" He watched Madeleine as he walked away. "...Essy? What kind of a nickname is- nevermind," Espresso groaned before looking back down at his book.

...

"Ugh, how long will this stupid thing take! I'm already losing my patience," Licorice groaned. Pomegranate stopped in her tracks. "You be quiet and stay patient...we're almost to that ratchet kingdom," she said lowly. Poison Mushroom was on Licorice's back. "Let's just make this quick! The quicker we get his power, the quicker we can see our master!" Licorice said with an evil grin. Pomegranate rolled her eyes. "Settle down...just hide here,"
"Hide where- HEY!" Licorice got cut off by Pomegranate grabbing Licorice by his robe and swinging him down next to her. "You see that rather tall knight commander? We'll be sure to get him after the coffee mage..." She said with an evil grin.

"Seriously? Can't we just get him first?"
"The knight is too... oblivious. We must go with the...safest option first," Pomegranate looked at Licorice. Right before he could say something, they heard the sounds of loud trumpets. She snickered. "That's our que...the other cookies will be distracted by the knight commander...but not him," she pointed to Espresso.

"He...is special,"